Quick stupid question on planting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
I was putting my rhizomes in the ground today and I got confused. ARe those roots or shoots coming out?

I've heard that new shoots look like white asparagus and these looked like tiny white asparagus but if they are shoots there is absolutely no evidence of roots.

The basic question: how do I know what direction to point these rhizomes when I put them in the ground. Cut side up or down?

yep roots will go down and shoots will go up no matter what way you put them in. It's just beneficial to get the shoots already pointing up.

Yeah, the rhizome is planted horizontal, in a small "trench".

The buds will create shoots, the shoots will find thier way to the sun. They do look like asparagus... I have about 6 shoots up on each of my 2nd yr plants thus far.

Planting horizontally is better. That way roots and shoots can sprout from any portion of the rhizome. They know what they are doing.

Planting horizontally is better. That way roots and shoots can sprout from any portion of the rhizome. They know what they are doing.

Its amazing how intelligent a plant can seem. :)

Plant the rhizome horizontal. Thats probably how it was positioned in the soil before being cut a pulled out for shipment. The roots will go out and down, the sprouts will find their way to the surface.

Craig

Ok, I wish I read this before planting. Is it worth it to replant mine?

They have been in the ground 1 week and only 2 have a single sprout coming out.

Update:

I replanted them today. Cool stuff. Those things that I was wondering about were shoots and had all changed direction in the ground overnight. Plus a tiny root tendril had already grown out of one.

I wouldn't mess with them now. It could shock them or break off tiny roots :(.

Man, I am never one to follow directions. I replanted 4 of my rhizomes placing them horizontally. I was really careful. I think I snapped 1 shoot out of all of them. We will see how log it takes them to come up again now. I hope to see something when I go home today :) Plenty of sun today and 75*

Back