Good Styles/Recipes for fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
We're still in the midst of winter here in Wisconsin, with a chilli day of below-zero wind chills ahead of us, but I'm already thinking fall. A couple people at work suggested we have a first-day-of-college-football party (seeing as we're in Madison, go Badger!), and it got me thinking of what I might brew for a party like that. I think an Oktoberfest/Marzen would be in order. Perhaps a nut brown? What brews would you like to see at said party, and what are some of your favorite recipes?
My favorite brown that is my go-to recipe is Lil' Sparky's.

A nice malty Festbier would be grand, if you have the equipment to lager. Since the first day of college football these days is inching closer and closer to Independence Day, a traditionally Autumn beer might not be appropriate, though! :)

If you're going to throw a party, you might wish to brew a few different beers - light, amber, brown and black, so as to have something for everybody. That is admittedly an expensive option. Of course, if you already know who you're going to invite, you can get them to pitch in for ingredients!

Cheers,

Bob

I'm definitely going to be brewing a new Oktoberfest recipe (Under my Recipes pulldown) sometime in the spring to age for a couple months over the summer. Something a bit strong but also clear. Its got to be an ale, though, as I don't have lagering capabilities.

Now, if only I can talk my girlfriend's parents into letting me utilize their cold, dark basement for the summer months to condition it...

I would rock a dopplebock. You have time to make a huge one now and age it. That would be sweet. Maybe you could talk to the brewer over at Capitol and find some secrets about their Autumnal Fire. They made an Imperial Dopplebock for one batch this year that was Autumnal on steroids... I didn't get any :( but it wouold be sweet to do something like that.

Should have clarified: I can lager one beer at a time, and I intend to have all four kegs going. I like the dopplebock idea! Got any recipes?

Back