All Grain to Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanson16

Reaction score
I typically do all grain recipes but need to get some more brew in the keg and don't have the time to set up my all grain equipment.

Can I convert one of my all grain recipes to extract by simply replacing my base grains with the appropriate amount of extract and steep the specialty grains? Then do the rest of the process the same (ie hop additions & other additives).

Thanks.

1lb of base malt = .6lb DME (approximately)

any specialty grains that need mashing, just do a stove top mini-mash with a pound of 2-row in the mix (subtract it from your calculations above)

1lb of base malt = .6lb DME (approximately)

any specialty grains that need mashing, just do a stove top mini-mash with a pound of 2-row in the mix (subtract it from your calculations above)

Thanks. Does crystal 60L need to be mashed?

Or; you could do BIAB on the stovetop. It's fun and is way, way, way less work without having to lug out and then put away all your gear. I just wrote a bit about it in my blog if you are interested.

You can steep or mash crystal malts I believe.

What is the difference between mashing and steeping? I have some 60L I plan on using Wednesday for a biab and have only mashed my grains.

What is the difference between mashing and steeping? I have some 60L I plan on using Wednesday for a biab and have only mashed my grains.

Mashing/sparging converts and extracts sugars, steeping pretty much just extracts flavors and color, some sugars come out but pretty minimal. Nothing to change a recipe over.

Back