raise abu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sugar will potentially dry out your beer and make it cidery. Dme will do it, but you might need more hops to balance the malt

The best way is to brew a recipe that has a higher ABV.

Sugar will raise the ABV but will also dry out the beer.
DME seems the best choice for what you have given. If you don't change the hop amounts also you will get an unbalanced beer.
I don't know what a booster pack is.

when i did mr. beer you could get a booster pack that would raise the abv. i think it is pretty much dextrose.

The best way is to plan a bigger beer from the getgo.
Sometimes I will add a pound of sugar to dry my beers out a little more. The abv bump is just a little bonus:mug:

ok thanks i like high octane beer like 9 to 10 % beers but i seem to be making 5 to 6 %, well i guess just drink acouple and will have the same effect lol

when i did mr. beer you could get a booster pack that would raise the abv. i think it is pretty much dextrose.

It is a mixture of dextrose and malto-dextrin, similar to DME, it is not fully fermentable.

how would i do it if i was doing all grain more malt???

Yes, and lowering the mash temp so as not to end up with a sweet beer.

i know how to lower the mash temp open the lid. thanks only one all grain under my belt, so im really new to this. i was a can and dme man. want to try all grain. my first all grain was o'fest. will try it in october.

how would i do it if i was doing all grain more malt???

Yes. more malt/fermentables = higher starting gravity = higher potential final alcohol level.

But again, you can't just go out and make a 10% ABV Pilsner and expect good things. Bigger beers tend to have more malt backbone (i.e. higher final gravity), which is why some styles are big beers (stouts, porters, barleywine, IPAs) and others are not (Pilsner, Kolsch, etc)

not to say it cannot be done, just that you can't double the ABV on any beer and expect it to be delicious :)
when it does turn out delicious though, it often morphs into a new style/sub-style once it gains some popularity.

Latest posts

Back