Sanity check :Brewing first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob869007

Mmmmm Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing my first all grain brew tomorrow. I'm making the same brew that I made last week with the partial mash recipe. I want to see the difference.

I made my mash tun today out of an igloo 5 gallon water cooler. I couldn't find any SS fittings anywhere in town so I went with the kooler kits parts.

The recipe calls for 10.75 pounds of grain total. Single step mash. I will mash in at 1.25 quarts per pound of grain. That puts it at 13.5 quarts for the mash. The sparge will be done with 3 gallons at a rate of 1 gallon every 15 minutes.

Mash temp 153.

fly Sparge 185.

Does all of this sound right?

Thanks guys.

looks good, you might want to limit the sparge temp to 170f to avoid getting tannins. if you did a successful partial mash last week you already know the procedure for AG brewing.

Before starting the sparge, I would do a mash out to raise the grain bed temperature to the upper 160's. (This increased my efficiency from 75% to 85%).
It also looks as though you need a lot more sparge water (assuming a 5g batch).
To end up with 5g in the fermenter, you will probably need about 6.5g pre-boil.
It looks to me that you are about 1.5g short on the sparge water.
Perhaps somebody else could verify this because I've been over sampling an IPA this evening.

-a.

Latest posts

Back