Metallica

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Saw this on reddit earlier today ... Got a laugh from it. Last Metallica album sucked worse than a vacuum cleaner. Heard their new single on the radio yesterday, god awful.

hatfieldmccoy.jpg

Thats sad. 'Tallica hasn't made a good record since Justice. They've become the crap they were once a reaction against. Death Magnetic is ****ing awful too.

I used to like Metallica quite a bit. Then the whole controversy with Lars vs. Napster, etc... I haven't paid for a Metallica album since the Black Album (take that back, I did buy S & M), which unfortunately was the beginning of the end for Metallica. I used to think the Black Album was a sell-out, but while it did make them mainstream it truly was a good piece of work compared to what came after. What a bunch of losers.

It's a damn shame. I was such a huge fan until the Napster debacle. I mean, it's hard to keep up a rebellious image with a suit and tie in court. After Newstead left, I stopped caring about whatever the new stuff was and I'll continue reminisicing about the good old days with with ...And Justice on back.

Have you ever watched their documentary Some Kind Of Monster? Those guys hate each other soo much that they can't even talk to each other. They all have mediators that convey what they want to say to each other. They can't even talk to each other! That was when I decided that they were no longer Metallica for the love of the music, but for the love of the money.

**** 'em!

I used to like Metallica quite a bit. Then the whole controversy with Lars vs. Napster, etc... I haven't paid for a Metallica album since the Black Album ...

Lars sucks. I'll never spend another dime on a Metallica / Lars product again.

I did wear out two "Master of puppets" cassettes back in high school. I put them in the deck in my truck and let em run for weeks on end. Only paid for the first one though. The second I got from a friend. (Take that you greedy ba$tards...):rockin:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6udST6lbE]YouTube - Metallica Napster Bad[/ame]

100$ for a genuine Metallica cock ring.......

Honestly, Burton was before my time. I mean, I dig the old albums and saw all the bootlegs but I never understood what the big deal was. He was an average bass player with a distortion pedal. I spent 2 years playing with the current bass player of Black Label Society and he would have schooled Burton.

Bobby - the big deal about Cliff was not so much his playing though that was very innovative for the time. What the big deal was is his songwriting. Look how many of the killer songs on those early albums Cliff had writing credits on. Even though he wasn't alive for recording of Justice, he probably wrote some of those songs as well, or at the very least Metallica still carried his writing style.

Yeah Jason is probably a much better musician, but compare the songwriting on Cliffs songs with Metallica to Jason's on Doomsday for the Deceiver and you can see what I mean.

You guys crack me up. The two biggest complaints I hear from people about bands who have been around a long time are either "All their albums sound the same" or "their music has changed sooo much over the years.....they sold out". If they still had the same sound they did back in the 80's/early 90's I bet you guys would be complaining that all their stuff sounds the same. I'm sure you'll deny this, but I believe it to be truth.

I would not be complaining. If they were still making albums like their first four I'd wait in line at the store to buy every one.

Thats not a joke, I wait in line to buy every Cannibal Corpse record thats came out since 89. A few other bands I can think of that haven't changed that much since then either.

I got no problem with a band like Cannibal Corpse getting more ferocious over time, or maybe Suffocation improving their songwriting, but it stays true to the original brutal style it was in the old days. But Metallica didn't change for the better. How come Slayer can make basically the same kick ass album every 2-3 years for 20 years and Metallica can't even make a heavy song anymore ?

Not always - no way. Master of Puppets is likely one of the greatest metal albums ever. If Metallica had broken up or retired after they made And Justice for All, they would have gone down in history as the single greatest metal band ever, to rank right up there with the Led Zeppelins of the world. There would be no doubting or debate about it.

But sadly, they've gone from one of the best if not the best to total nu-metal craptacular ****-fest. One of the worst bands in metal today.

Although Load, Reload, and St. Anger were steaming piles of festering monkey feces stuffed into the rectum of a coprolitic zombified jizz-mopping janitor, I am going to give Death Magnetic a chance. The reason I say so is because I heard their new single on the radio, and not knowing what it was I turned it up and I actually liked it. There were hints of the 'old' Metallica in there, lots of speed riffs, bass keeping up, Hetfield screaming like he wanted to kill you. Not as much 'puss-ass wuss rock dbag serenading the chicks under the tree' music. I did like S&M and Garage, Inc. I have an old CD that was just labeled Garage Days that's similar to music on Garage, Inc. It is yellow and looks really old, I must have bought it back in 1994. Anyone seen that one before?

This time I'll torrent it before I spend actual money buying it. Oh Cliff why did you have to die??

Have you ever watched their documentary Some Kind Of Monster? Those guys hate each other soo much that they can't even talk to each other. They all have mediators that convey what they want to say to each other. They can't even talk to each other! That was when I decided that they were no longer Metallica for the love of the music, but for the love of the money.

**** 'em!

That movie showed these guys to be so.... pathetic. I mean, all freakin' touchy-feeley, bringing in the mediator, just so.... lame. I expect that they'll grow up, but they don't have to turn into a bunch of pussies just because they aren't in their twenties anymore. You don't have to keep stealing beer from convienence stores, but...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnPXn19Li6A]YouTube - Metallica steals some beer[/ame]

I never understood all the hate towards Newsted, either. Seems like they resented him from the day they brought him aboard.

Yeah, Garage Days was just a small set of covers they did which they then rerecorded for Garage Inc. I always wished they would have rerecorded ...and justice and made it just a little less sanitized.

Newstead was like a rebound girlfriend. They hated that Burton was gone and that they HAD to bring this dip**** aboard so they could continue stuffing their pockets.

Oh, I remember what I *loved* about "Some Kind of Monster". Dave Mustaine coming out and saying (while crying) what I suspected from the first time I heard Megadeth; he regretted intensely and personally having blown his shot at being in Metallica, and it ate him up inside. I always considered Megadeth to be very Metallica-derivative, it always seemed like Mustaine REALLY, REALLY wanted to be Metallica.

Thats sad. 'Tallica hasn't made a good record since Justice. They've become the crap they were once a reaction against. Death Magnetic is ****ing awful too.

Agreed, everything since ...Justice hasn't been near the caliber of work that the first albums were.

They have fallen very far from the "Master of Puppets" tour. In essence they have become the epitome of what they once so vehemently opposed.

Oh I beg to differ although it is a very good album. But IMO, Ride the Lightning is better :rockin:

Just depending on what I was in the mood to listen to at the time - I might agree with you - both are excellent albums.

I remember when I first got Master thinking there is no way this will stand up to Ride the Lightning, but realized that was silly 30 seconds after popping the tape into my cars tape-deck.

I do like Master of Puppets a little bit better though because as a guitar player I find it a little more challenging and interesting, but I can't find much fault with Ride the Lightning either - very choice songs, crushing riffs, if I had to pick something to not like about it I'd say that "Escape" is a little bit of let down - but overall no complaints.

Wow. That's a sad picture :D

I never listened to them until I saw them in concert - I went to see the opening band, The Cult, and decided to stick around for Metallica, since I was front & center after everyone cleared out between performances. Really liked what I heard, got the older albums and loved them, then watched sadly as the newer albums got lamer and lamer.

Metallica jumped the shark 18 years ago guys. Everything after ...And Justice For All is crap. Black has a couple decent songs on it but that's about it.

Just depending on what I was in the mood to listen to at the time - I might agree with you - both are excellent albums.

I remember when I first got Master thinking there is no way this will stand up to Ride the Lightning, but realized that was silly 30 seconds after popping the tape into my cars tape-deck.

I do like Master of Puppets a little bit better though because as a guitar player I find it a little more challenging and interesting, but I can't find much fault with Ride the Lightning either - very choice songs, crushing riffs, if I had to pick something to not like about it I'd say that "Escape" is a little bit of let down - but overall no complaints.

I choose to see it like the progression most bands go through:

The struggling early stuff/garage band days with the raw artistic ability and little refinement, often showcasing raw potential.

The developing/breaking on the scene stuff with a good deal of artistic ability mingled with some refinement/discipline. The band is usually getting a good idea of who they are and producing some really great stuff that is still edgy but more controlled.

The established phase, usually producing an all around solid album that speaks to who the band is. They know who they are, they know who each other is, they know their ability and they accept where they are. This is usually the pinnacle album in terms of broader acceptance and sales, yet still pleases those who really dug the early stuff.

The experimental phase. The band may or may not get here, but if they do it often goes in one of three directions. One they find a 'new sound' and rekindle their popularity and creative expression. Two they overshoot the mark and say "man what were we thinking" and come back to their roots. Three they fizzle out and get lost 'trying stuff', only to become swept up in the commercial aspect of trying to please fans or just come out with another album.

To me "Master of Puppets" was the established phase for them.

+1 - Justice was the last good full album. A few good songs on garage days.

I'm all for bands developing/taking new directions and I think Black is, musically, one of the great albums of the 90s. But ever since they tried to capture the sound of a group of Finnish cellists that captured the sound of them (Apocolyptica... and quite successfully, I might add), they took a wrong direction IMO. I've lost interest in them since.

Black has a couple decent songs on it but that's about it.

A couple good songs? Seriously? It's phenomenal.

I'm still a fan because of the reasons everybody seems to dislike them now: they're tried different things. Maybe it's not all great or even good, but at least they aren't stagnant. Hell, they could be a band like Nickelback. Heard one Nickelback song, heard 'em all.

As for them making money, that's the whole point. Never been in a band but I'm sure everybody starts out with dreams of making it big, not banging around the fringe while living in a van.

I think Black is, musically, one of the great albums of the 90s

>.<

what ?

Black was a bad joke, it was Metallica saying - look we can put out crap - a turd of an album and people will buy it ! Its Metallica's "Smell The Glove".

I remember going to the Black album listening party at MSG a couple days before it got released and I think the only reason I actually liked the stuff at all was the fact that it triggered the nostalgia of those good old days. Listening back to that stuff now assures me it was mostly nostalgia. I think Sad But True is the only tune that comes close and man, it seems so relevent now doesn't it?

Black should be titled "The Bob Rock Show". The making-of video is hillarious.

I lost all respect for them after the napster crap. Kill 'Em All is probably my favorite and like many others, I liked the stuff right up to the black album. Did I hate the black album? no, but it wasn't the same.

[youtube]YYLQwJESh-w[/youtube]

Back