How much do you drink? Is that so bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcom579

Reaction score
Ever since i started homebrewing, i have found myself drinking alot more. Every day for that matter. average is about 5 a day. I was curious as to how much other members here drink and is it really as bad for you as people say? Im not an alcoholic, i just love my brew, especially when it is one of my creations!

Well I've been trying to lose a little weight lately so I've cut back my intake. I might have 1 or 2 a night, but I really try to hold out for the weekends. I was drinking 5 or 6 a night for a while, and I could tell my SWMBO was getting upset with my intake. So I cut back before anything had to be said. But like a said, onw it's for me losing some pounds :D

I think an easy way to tell if you're getting into trouble is to take two days off from drinking any alcohol. If you don't find that to be a problem, you're just gaining weight is all. I personally think 5 a night is excessive and could easily lead to dependency and liver damage over a span of a couple years.

I'd say that I probably average 2 a day. I normally will only drink 2, maybe 3 days out of a week.

This kinda surprises me. An outsider looking in at us might as well assume that since we are a group of people making our own beers, we would be a group of stumbling drunks. I've gotten looks from people in my office when I've told them that I brew my own beer and instanly I get the "oh my god, he's a raging alcholic" look. But after giving my boss a pint of my last batch of IPA, this has changed his opinion, and that's all the matter to me!

I'm another 1-2 a night unless I'm with friends grilling or something, then it can be 4-5. When things get really busy in my life I'll end up only drinking on the weekends. I remember when I was living by myself in a new town working as an engineer, I was getting into the habit of having 4 or 5 every night because I had nothing else really to do and didn't think it was bad, but when I look back on it it was a bad idea.

I had been drinking 1-2 on weeknights, 4-5 on weekends but then I was diagnosed with some stomach issues so I am down to only 1-2 on weekends, nothing during the week. It's kind of disappointing really, I don't empty the kegs as often so I don't brew as much (my last batch is 4 months old and I have nothing going).

I have a pint with dinner, sometimes I'll have another one later but not too often (though that will probably change with the hot weather arriving). I usually have a few on the weekend. They say beer in moderation is good for you (again) so I figure I'm doing it for my health. :)

1 to 2 in the evenings and 1 to 3 on weekends. I figure I am on the edge of where drinking goes from beneficial to detrimental to my health.
Just to make sure there is no dependency I make sure I go without a few days every month. Going without my morning coffee is much harder. :mad:

5 a day is not going to be good for your long term health. You will also probably have some dependency issues.

Craig

You all make me sick. With your brewing of beer and lying about how much you drink;) Yeah you know who im talking to. I guess ill be the first to be honest. I might drink one every other night maybe two every third night. And then on one of my days off i will drink all day and night and usually lose count after 8 or so:ban:

My appetite goes down when the weather warms up. My thirst for beer goes down as well.

I'm down 10 pounds from 2 months ago.

I've replaced one of the taps in the upstairs Sanyo with club soda.

I know I'm drinking less because all 18 of my kegs are full (or partially full) and I have four full fermenters. Most everything I'm brewing these days is in the 3.5% range.

I guess I still enjoy brewing just as much, even if I'm not drawing as many pints each night. Now I'm more of a sampler.

sample2.jpg

1-2 a week night, weekends maybe 4-6 a day depending on what I am doing, where I am and what time it is. Usually its around 4. I have stopped drinking within 2 hours of going to bed. I have found what they say is true about alcohol interfering with sleep. If I drink within 2 hours of going to bed I am up all night.

I'll have one a night. On Fridays and Saturdays I'll have maybe 3-6.

Don't ask me how much I'm going to drink this weekend. Please.

For those that want to know, I'll keep track of how much Chef drinks this weekend and report back the results. :D :drunk:

This weekend doesn't count, Chef. At least is doesn't for me anyway. I'm livin' it up this weekend before I hit the exercise and diet HARD when I get back home.

I'll average 4 pints/week in the summer. We tend to have people over for "stuff" alot and I let them have run of the kegs, otherwise I'd only brew a couple times a year I'd bet.

During the winter I probably double my intake just because there's nothing to do.

For those that want to know, I'll keep track of how much Chef drinks this weekend and report back the results. :D :drunk:

This weekend doesn't count, Chef. At least is doesn't for me anyway. I'm livin' it up this weekend before I hit the exercise and diet HARD when I get back home.

Definitely. Hopefully I'll always have some water in hand as well. I'm about to go for my last run here in a little while to gear up. Maybe I'll go out for a hungover run one morning in Cinci, but I doubt it!

Lately have cut down to only drinking 2-3 on the weekdays. I was getting bad their for a while, and my weight was not going down anymore.

I'll randomly have 1 or 2 on weekday but that's usually just for "quality control purposes". Ya know, to see how some of my beers are coming along. On the weekend it can be anywhere from 2 to 8 depending on what I'm doing.

The one big factor is that the abv needs to be taken into account. I like a pint with dinner usually and maybe one or so later on. It depends, some nights none. Weekends a little more. If I am drinking a 8% beer usually only one, or if I have a second one it is usually lower alcohol. Your body will adjust to some degree as well, but obviously you can't abuse it without consequence.

On a normal day I drink 2 or 3 liters of beer and often substitute this intake for food wherever possible. On party days I drink about two liters of vodka to get a nice buzz.

Hey this is kind of good to help one gauge:

http://www.alcoholscreening.org/index.asp

Me:
Your Results:

Based on Your Responses:
Your results do not suggest that a pattern of excess drinking is harming your health. However, the amount you reported consuming on at least one occasion may increase your risk for injury or other immediate consequences. This risk is associated with having more than 3 drinks per occasion if you are a woman or someone over 65, or 4 drinks per occasion if you are a man age 65 or younger.

Recommended Action:
Consider setting a safer personal limit for how much alcohol you consume on one occasion. For some people and in certain situations, no amount of alcohol is safe. Follow the link below to learn more about wise consumption limits, when it's not safe to drink at all, and the kinds of problems that excess alcohol can cause. This information will help you make informed health decisions about alcohol.

Jeez...have one or two nights of getting wrecked and you catch sh*t...chumps! :p

Me:
Jeez...have one or two nights of getting wrecked and you catch sh*t...chumps! :p

:D

You know though again, it all goes back to if your drinking 4 IIPA's a night or 4 3.5-4% beers a night, or such. I love me a nice beer after a long day to help me just relax and enjoy life. 16 oz of 5% is 0.8 oz of alcohol so it's less than a regular shot (a shot is 1 oz right?) and spread over a time period of 15 to 20 minutes (or so...unless it's a Wit, I saw on TV you're supposed to drink it in three sips, you know for your health, or so the owner of Hoegaarden says :fro:) it makes a huge difference.

A friend and I were talking about this, it's probably why you see less rowdy people in brewpubs than in bars, or at least that has been our experience. People hitting the shots are there to get loaded vs. people just socializing.

The first 6 months that I homebrewed, I was drinking probably a 6 pack a night. But now that the novelty has worn off, I may have 1 or 2 during the week, and maybe 12-18 over the course of a weekend.

Apparently I have more of a problem than I think.

Based on your Responses:
It is likely that your current drinking patterns are hazardous or harmful to your health and well being. Your responses to the AUDIT (Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test) are in a range believed to be consistent with problems related to drinking. However, the AUDIT cannot diagnose any condition or tell you for certain if alcohol use is harming your health; rather, it is a screening test to determine the likelihood of problematic drinking, and thus whether you should seek further evaluation.

Many people are not aware of how their alcohol consumption compares to that of the general public. More than 91.5% of the general adult American population and 85% of men consume fewer drinks per week than you reported consuming.

Recommended Action:
Because your results indicate that your drinking patterns may be hazardous or harmful, consider seeking further evaluation from your doctor or other qualified health professional, who can help you determine if your alcohol consumption is adversely affecting your health or interfering with your work and relationships. You may also want to learn more about health problems related to drinking and ways to reduce your risk. The links below will assist you in locating a local health professional for further assistance, and in making well informed health decisions about alcohol.

Many people are not aware of how their alcohol consumption compares to that of the general public. More than 89.5% of the general adult American population and 82% of men consume fewer drinks per week than you reported consuming.

Well, I figure I have 1 or 2 a night, more on the weekends if I'm out, but they well me I'm a raging drunk!!! I personally think I'm pretty good, especially compared to some people I know that are my age.

And I agree, this doesn't account for the difference between drinking whiskey or a 4% brew... Take everything with a grain of salt.

Apparently I have more of a problem than I think.

Based on your Responses:
It is likely that your current drinking patterns are hazardous or harmful to your health and well being. Your responses to the AUDIT (Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test) are in a range believed to be consistent with problems related to drinking. However, the AUDIT cannot diagnose any condition or tell you for certain if alcohol use is harming your health; rather, it is a screening test to determine the likelihood of problematic drinking, and thus whether you should seek further evaluation.

Many people are not aware of how their alcohol consumption compares to that of the general public. More than 91.5% of the general adult American population and 85% of men consume fewer drinks per week than you reported consuming.

Recommended Action:
Because your results indicate that your drinking patterns may be hazardous or harmful, consider seeking further evaluation from your doctor or other qualified health professional, who can help you determine if your alcohol consumption is adversely affecting your health or interfering with your work and relationships. You may also want to learn more about health problems related to drinking and ways to reduce your risk. The links below will assist you in locating a local health professional for further assistance, and in making well informed health decisions about alcohol.

You Rule! :tank:

As an aside, I'm a little surprised by the language used by the AUDIT in the responses it gives. Those things are usually written to either a 5th or 8th grade reading level and this seems well above that.

What I don't get is what reasearch indicates that a couple of beers every night was a bad thing. What would be an acceptable drinking level?

I disagree with the AUDIT website, which probably means I am in stage 1- Denial.

Back