cane sugar vs priming (corn) sugar for priming...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
First I'll say that I've never had a un carbonated bottle of beer .... 6 batches in so far.
second I'll say that I've ALWAYS used cane sugar added directly to the bottke.(3/4 tsp)

here's the q...
does corn sugar go bad? I have a package or two that are an un specified age but still sealed...

thanks.
timg

No worries about Sugar going bad. At least, doesn't rot. Can get infested, or get wet. Dry and sealed, go ahead and use it.

The corn sugar was powdery and tasted sweet... in fact I've never tasted corn sugar before.... so I used it.. I'll let you all know in 1 to 3 weeks... yes In drink a bottle in 1 week because I can never wait heheheheh.

timgman said:
The corn sugar was powdery and tasted sweet... in fact I've never tasted corn sugar before.... so I used it.. I'll let you all know in 1 to 3 weeks... yes In drink a bottle in 1 week because I can never wait heheheheh.

Sugar tasting sweet? Whats up with that :p :D

Hehehe it will be fine

Cheers

It was my last MR Beer expreiment...

It's all bottled and I'm on to a 5 gallon batch ........
\
Thanks guys,
timg

Hey do you guys use powdered or granulated cane sugar? I've always used corn sugar, but want to try cane for bottling just because its way cheaper.

If you're bottling an ale that's a light amber or darker,try demerara sugar (raw cane sugar). It has a great light brown sugar laced with honey flavor. But by the cheaper,darker brownish one. That organic light DME colored kind isn't nearly as good. Just takes more stiring to get it dissolved in the boiled water,as it's a courser crystal.
I wouldn't bother with powdered sugar. Too fine.

Back