What do you think? Nitrogen or something otgher than NPK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCBrewin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Like he title says, i can't figure is out. 3rd year plants. All exhibiting the same symptoms. Patchy yellowing leaves that start at the bottom and work their way towards the top. Last year I had some nitrogen burn from too much fertilizer, but quickly flushed it out and they recovered. These are in 24 in square containers from the nursery about 8 ft.³ of dirt all said and done each.

image-3761176279.jpg

image-632284903.jpg

image-499361643.jpg

So to give some more info - these are all third year plants that have been in 24" square nursery tree pots since 2011. The first year they all did surprisingly well. Got a small harvest from each. Northern Brewer, Magnum, Newport and Mt. Hood. I also have some new first year Cascade and Chinook that seem to be doing great. Last year I burned them with some liquid fertilizer, going against my better judgement to use some good organic stuff. After that I flushed each over the course of a week or so by flowing water through them several times to leach out any salts. I think I may have a nutrient problem now, although I did put a little bit of new composted top soil on each plant in February. Needless to say I want a solution, but am a little reluctant to overdo it again.

Is it one rhizome per pot or?

If i had to guess its getting root bound in that pot, at 3 years its root system will be very extensive and 24" pot will be holding it back.

Latest posts

Back