How much gelatin to use to clear beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I am going to try gelatin to clear my beer for the first time tonight. I plan on using 1 Tbps in 1/2 cup water. I'll use warm tap water to dissolve and then hit it up a little on the stove until it is all dissolved. My beer is at 63 right now. I think I'm going to add the gelatin at that temp and then slowly bring it down to 40 to cold condition for a few days.

Is 1 Tbps enough or do I need to use more?

1/2 tsp in 1/2 cup water is usually sufficient. 1 tsp works too. I don't think more than that will get anymore sedimentation.
Nighthawk has posted an easy technique to rehydrate gelatin: add the gelatin to cool water and let it sit for 1/2 hour. Then microwave for 10 second bursts until it clears- usually 2 or 3 bursts. Easy, peasy.......

Use less. 1Tbsp is too much and can actually lead to chill haze. I use about 1 tsp. The volume of water you use to dissolve it is not really important other than the volume it adds to your beer. I prefer to use a little more water as if it is too thick, you run the danger of it solidifying too quickly and making jello blobs in your beer, which isn't a problem, except that jello blobs don't help to clear a beer

Hey guys, going to revive this thread. I have been cold crashing a beer for about a week now and it still hasn't cleared. I want this bee to be crystal clear. It is a 2.5 gallon batch. The current temp is about 44*. Is it possible to add gelatin to this batch at the current temp? I don't really want to raise it to 60 to add the geltain, just to drop it again. Also, would 1/4 tsp of gelatin do the trick?

I've always been told that the beer should be as cold as possible (~33-36 degrees) before adding gelatin. I'm by no means an expert here though, I just don't see why you should have to raise it to 60.

hunter - Thanks for the response. See I have read mixed reviews, but more leaning to the side of adding it when it is room temp so it is mixed around better before it is chilled and pulled everything out. If you put it in cold already it will just form into gelatin immediately and fall right to the bottom not pulling all out that it could if it was added warm. I guess I will have to get my own personal take on this. Just curious to know the amount to add.

This is a copy and paste from a post that I made to a similar thread:

I keep seeing posts quoted in this thread where some are saying that you MUST add the gelatin at room temperature. This is not true. Adding at room temperature may work but you don't have to warm up the beer to add gelatin.

In fact, in the book New Lager Brewing, Greg Noonan says it is best to add gelatin at a temperature UNDER 50 degrees and that closer to freezing is even better.

I have always done it this way and the beer clears up incredibly well. The Gelatin does NOT turn to Jello as some here have been warning. Perhaps people have had issues because they added the gelatin at cooler temperatures but didn't follow the other instructions. Here is what Greg Noonan says:

For a 5 gallon batch of beer, add 5 grams of gelatin to 10 ounces of water, cover it, and let it sit for an hour (to bloom). Then, gently heat it up and stir to dissolve the gelatin. Heat to 150 - 160. Do not go over 160 degrees. Then, do not let the gelatin cool to under 120 degrees before adding it to your beer. In other words, the gelatin solution should be between 120 and 160 degrees when you add it to your beer and mix it in. Mix it into the beer gently for 2 to 3 minutes.

I stir mine into the carboy with a sanitized racking cane. You can also gently rock the carboy. I keep saying gently because you don't want to add oxygen to your beer.

Like I said, this works extremely well. I've done it with a cloudy Kolsch yeast and it cleared it right up. No floating Jello. Just beautiful, clear beer.

BrewerDon - Thanks! I will half everything (2.5g's and 5oz of water) and add it to my Pale Ale tonight!

You are welcome. I cleared my last 2 batches at the same temperature that you are currently at - 44 degrees F. After I stirred in the gelatin solution the beer got cloudier because I stirred up sediment. That's OK. I think they stayed cloudy for at least 3 days. I'm not sure when they started clearing but l know they were clear after a week.

Ok, you kegged these correct? I am bottling so I figure it'll take at least 3 weeks to carb up properly, as the gelatin might strip out any floculant yeast. I am going to leave them at room temp, which in my house is about 70-75 depending on what the weather in Florida feels like doing.

Ok, you kegged these correct? I am bottling so I figure it'll take at least 3 weeks to carb up properly, as the gelatin might strip out any floculant yeast. I am going to leave them at room temp, which in my house is about 70-75 depending on what the weather in Florida feels like doing.

I bottle all of my beer. I've never had a problem carbonating batches that I cleared with gelatin but I do allow 3 weeks for carbonation for beers with an original gravity in the 1.050s and lower. A couple of times it was more like 4 weeks.

3 weeks at 70-75 *should* be long enough for your carbonation time but it depends on how long you lagered, temperature of the lagering, the original gravity, type of yeast, and many other factors.

I added gelatin to my keg last night. Is it ok to start carbing it up or should I wait 2-3 days for the gelatin to gelatinize everything first and then carb it?

Since I bottle condition, I have always let the beer clear first at a temperature under 50 degrees. Then, after the beer has cleared I raise the temperature, add priming sugar, and bottle the beer.

If you are kegging, then maybe you don't need to let the beer clear first.

I let it sit for a day. Started gassing it this morning. Hoping it turns out fine. It is being poured at Cold Storage Brewery on Wed next week!

Hey guys, going to revive this thread. I have been cold crashing a beer for about a week now and it still hasn't cleared. I want this bee to be crystal clear. It is a 2.5 gallon batch. The current temp is about 44*. Is it possible to add gelatin to this batch at the current temp? I don't really want to raise it to 60 to add the geltain, just to drop it again. Also, would 1/4 tsp of gelatin do the trick?

There are two things that can cause a beer to be cloudy: proteins (chill haze), and yeast cells. Gelatin only removes yeast cells, by clumping to them and forcing them to settle out. It is ineffective on proteins which cause chill haze. The way to remove the proteins from your beer is to quickly cool your wort (cold break) and use Irish moss/whirlfloc tablets. Using the two in conjunction will yield the clearest beer possible.

And for what it's worth, it's impossible to add too much gelatin. The first time I tried it, I accidentally used an entire packet and the beer was absolutely fine. It actually held my trub down at the bottom of the fermentor really well. It was almost the consistency of peanut butter.

All articles I have read about gelatin say give it at least 48 hours. Are there any down side risks of giving it longer?

From what I have read, it doesn't sound like there are any risks.

I plan to bottle on Thursday so was going to transfer to secondary tomorrow (Tuesday) and mix the gelatin in the process, but it sounds like I will be better off if I mix the gelatin in today and give it a bit more than 48 hours - do i need to do anything different when it comes to calculating the priming sugar needed?

All articles I have read about gelatin say give it at least 48 hours. Are there any down side risks of giving it longer?

From what I have read, it doesn't sound like there are any risks.

I plan to bottle on Thursday so was going to transfer to secondary tomorrow (Tuesday) and mix the gelatin in the process, but it sounds like I will be better off if I mix the gelatin in today and give it a bit more than 48 hours - do i need to do anything different when it comes to calculating the priming sugar needed?

48 hours is a minimum, no downside to longer, probably even better. Adding the gelatin to cold beer is preferred AFAIK.

Cold crash, add gelatin, wait a few days to a week....bottle or keg. Priming sugar should not change.

48 hours is a minimum, no downside to longer, probably even better. Adding the gelatin to cold beer is preferred AFAIK.

Cold crash, add gelatin, wait a few days to a week....bottle or keg. Priming sugar should not change.

I put the gelatin in on Monday expecting to bottle last night (Thursday), but got some nasty virus in between so will only be bottling next week. It is already crystal clear - amazing stuff.

I've left gelatin cleared beers for several weeks, no worries there.

I typically use a sachet of gelatin, what ever measurement that is. I'm gathering I should reduce the amount of gelatin I add.

I always cool the gelatin solution as I add it to a glass carboy. For those choosing to do the Greg Noonan method listed above, but really careful if you're adding 120-160 degree liquids to a carboy.

I used gelatin for the first time in October and I think it cleared the yeast nicely.

The beer has been in the bottle for more than a month now and still tastes a bit green and has a weird honey like aroma (that sounds nice, but the aroma isn't). The hop flavour is also subdued. All the tasters I had prior to putting the gelatin in were fine. When I bottled it it also tasted ok but something has happened since it has been in the bottle.

I followed my routine bottling process (everything is sanitised). So the only change in the process was adding the gelatin. Is it possible that the gelatin has created this flavour and subdued the hops?

I started force carbing my keg this morning before work. It's currently sitting in the fridge at around 48 degrees. Can I still add gelatin?

Will the carbonated beer interact differently with the gelatin?

For a 5 gallon batch of beer, add 5 grams of gelatin to 10 ounces of water, cover it, and let it sit for an hour (to bloom). Then, gently heat it up and stir to dissolve the gelatin. Heat to 150 - 160. Do not go over 160 degrees. Then, do not let the gelatin cool to under 120 degrees before adding it to your beer. In other words, the gelatin solution should be between 120 and 160 degrees when you add it to your beer and mix it in. Mix it into the beer gently for 2 to 3 minutes.

I stir mine into the carboy with a sanitized racking cane. You can also gently rock the carboy. I keep saying gently because you don't want to add oxygen to your beer.

Like I said, this works extremely well. I've done it with a cloudy Kolsch yeast and it cleared it right up. No floating Jello. Just beautiful, clear beer.

I've used this method exactly and my beer still has what looks like chill haze. It has only been 4 days but I was hoping for faster results.

holy thread resurrection batman!

haha see you are new welcome to homebrewtalk not looking to troll you.

No need to stir. No need to get to careful about the temps.
1/2 cup sanitary chlorine free water...I get filtered water from my fridge
1/2 tsp gelatin, sprinkle on top
wait 10 min and stir it a bit
microwave for 30 seconds then 15 seconds at a time till you get to about 160. 170 is not going to ruin it. 150 will probably pasteurize it.
pour it on top of your chilled beer and allow to settle. Don't stir it in. Just pour on top, gently to avoid adding oxygen. It will mix itself in just fine.
Wait. 24-48 hours is plenty.

I just added some gelatin to my latest beer yesterday. I'm generally following the guidelines on the brulosophy website.

Add 1/2 tsp gelatin to 1/2 cup water. (I made this a pretty heaping 1/2 tsp)

Microwave in 10 second bursts, stirring in between with a thermometer until you hit a little over 150 degrees and the gelatin is visibly dissolved.

Pour into beer that has been cooled to under 50F.

Continue crashing to 30-32 degrees.

Allow to sit at this temperature for 24-48 hours.

Package.

I'm thinking I may bottle as soon as Wednesday.

Interestingly enough this beer will probably be in the bottle conditioning only 10-11 days after being brewed, and that's including the time required to cold crash. We'll see if it's any good at the end of the month lol.

If you have space and time is it not better to just do a cold crash for as long as it takes to clear up on its own.

This thread resurrection is the very reason I'm looking forward to trying out my brand new handy dandy filtering system. Brewed today. Might just have crystal clear kegged beer in 5 days from now....something new and different in my brew world to play around with

This thread resurrection is the very reason I'm looking forward to trying out my brand new handy dandy filtering system. Brewed today. Might just have crystal clear kegged beer in 5 days from now....something new and different in my brew world to play around with

Let us know if you find it is taking out hop flavour.

Back