Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSac

Reaction score
Starters: do you consider it a requirement, a good idea or don't use one. I always use White Lab's liquid yeast?

Just curious.

I've explained this in the past so listen up...

When you make a starter you are verifying your yeast is alive.

If you make a starter 1-2 days prior to brewing you KNOW you have good yeast. :D

If, on the other hand, you DO NOT make a starter and brew anyway then pitch your yeast you can wait for days before you figure out your yeast is dead. :mad:

Now, would you prefer to wait (waste) those days or make a starter? :confused:

For me it's a no-brainer, but it's your choice.

Good luck.

I know people here will have a lot to say that will be more help than me, but I thought I'd get it started. My first time I used Munton's dry yeast without hydrating. It took two days to start and tasted... ok. Then I used a liquid culture from White Labs. That took like four days to start and every minute of it was hell. It's bottled now and I've tried a taste, but it's still too green to tell. We used WyYeast smack packs on the last two and both took off like mad right away. I have no idea how they are going to taste. I also re-pitched the Ginger Chocolate Porter just today. But I'll keep everyone posted on how these go.

What's the best way to hydrate the yeast prior to starting the brew?

I usually take .5 litre of my wort, while brewing, and pitch the yeast in that. I let it stand until Im ready to dump into my Priming Bucket than add as per specs.

Cheers,
J

billybrew said:
Also, it makes the yeast get started immediately when you add it instead of setting there a day while nasties can get involved.

This reason plus hb_99's are the reasons I do starters. Proof the yeast plus low lag time. Combine that with the fact that my time to make a starter (not counting cooling which doesn't require my attention) is ~30 minutes a day or two before my brewday and it is, indeed, a no-brainer for me.

jaymack said:

I usually take .5 litre of my wort, while brewing, and pitch the yeast in that. I let it stand until Im ready to dump into my Priming Bucket than add as per specs.

Cheers,
J
The general procedure for liquid yeast is take enough DME to make a 1L wort around 1.030 - 1.035 SG, boil, cool, aerate, and stick your yeast in there. You can probably make a weaker wort for dry yeast to get the same effect. I use a half gallon growler for this, with either an airlock or aluminum foil to cover the opening.

jaymack said:

Cheers,
J

I rehydrate in sterilized water that has been cooled to ~70*F for 30-45 minutes. I then add DME boiled with water and cooled to the same temp to that, cover, and let it run its course while I run my steep and boil. The last batch I did I let the proof go for over 2 hours. My fermenter was jumping after 7 hours.

Make sure that you also give your wort a good aeration once it gets below 80*F. I try to get my wort and proof to be the same temp when I pitch....no shock to the yeasties, and they can get right in on business.

Looks like I'll use a starter going forward, thanks for the info. I'm brewing on sunday, an empty primary and secondary is a crying shame.

Back