Orange Soda Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two-Bit

Reaction score
I've been making sodas at home recently, i have tried many flavours with many more flavours to come.
One i would love to try is Orange, but I'm not a fan of that 'Typical' Orange juice flavour. I want to make an Orange soda that more replicates the taste of Fanta or Sunkist (But obviously not the same)

So if anyone has an awesome Orange Soda recipe that doesn't taste like fizzy sweetened Orange juice i would be very keen to try it out.

hope you guys can help :)

I've been lazy and using either premade syrups or just juice and carbonated water. Considering though...
You're probably looking at the zest or artificial chemical flavoring then. I don't think you would want to use the actual juice at all, unless it was filtered and cleared. Of course sugar and acids, (ascorbic and citric) and food coloring.

I believe the original orange crush recipe used an orange oil emulsified with acacia gum. That, along with some citric acid should give you the taste you're looking for.

What? You don't have acacia gum lying around? Ok, boil some orange zest, and be careful not to get any white stuff. Also, for citric acid, you can try small amounts of lemon juice. If you have enough orange zest, it should mostly mask the lemon juice, but keep the tartness.

Well i have citric Acid, that stuff is easy to find here.
I might try with some orange Zest, might just have to play around with a lot of ideas.
Find some Orange oil perhaps.
I just guess more Citric Acid in this Soda than most other Sodas? Especially if mixing with Orange Oil

Back