What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should add that I am drinking beer now, but I bet most of us are!!!

Yeppers! My Hopped & Confused ale has been in bottles only 11 days,but it's single digit cold,& I'm fresh outta beer. But this ale thast thinks it's a light lager isn't too shabby for version1. Pretty close to what I had in mind. Now when they carb & condition for a couple more weeks...Whew,nice buzz & flavor...:mug:

Started disassembling and cleaning my new (off craigslist) keg-a-rator. I need a tool to take the taps off I think. It holds 3 5gal kegs. I have 2 batches coming up soon; a honey porter and a brown ipa. Both oak aged. I split them with a friend so I will only have 2.5 gal of each batch, but I also have a 2.5 gal keg, yay! Anyone have a recommendation of which one to keg? Unfortunately the are both extract. I switched to all grain 2 weeks ago. I have a black ipa and a double oatmeal stout that should be ready and on tap in 6 and 7 weeks.

I also bought and built an industrial shelf in my room (off craigslist again) because I live in a small apartment and I don't have any room anywhere else.

All while finishing off the last of my first batch I brewed - oatmeal stout with coffee in it!

image-2127518417.jpg

image-3741263990.jpg

image-517805226.jpg

image-1693725588.jpg

Made a starter for my Irish Red that I'm brewing this weekend and moved some beer from the closet to the fridge. Then I rewarded myself with some homebrew!

I went to the LHBS yesterday. Well, local is an hour and a half away. Still, it's a great little store. I asked the lady working for prices on bottles, and she told me. Then she gave me two cases of used Sierra Nevada bottles. Score! I'm soaking labels off now.

Oh, I forgot to add: I went by Lowes the other day and looked at their blue five-gallon pails. The plastic is #2, which is the same grade as on my fermenter bucket. The problem is that these are only 5 gallons, but they might do okay for a fermenter on 3-gallon batches. Or for a bottling bucket. Useful knowledge, I'd say!

Cleaned HLT and all piping on the system
Put away a shipment of 1850lbs of grain
Updated the brewlogs and projections
Prepping grain for tomorrow
About to go into a meeting with the boss

I have to go in the order in which they happened this morning:
1. Bought a large spoon and a large whisk.
2. Bought a pound of 2-row, 3oz. of Citra, a pack of Safale S-05, a large nylon grain bag, Whirlfloc tablets, and put my name down for Vojvodina and Magnum rhizomes. I was the second person on the list.
3. Ate lunch, and then picked up some cheesecloth for a rice wine; I'll pick up the yeast this weekend.
4. Picked up an airlock and a #3 stopper.

What's next? I might brew on Saturday: I might do my wild rice wine. I will definitely do something to make adult beverages. I'll also be making a non-alcoholic potato salad. It has bacon and blue cheese in it, so it will taste great.

Raced over to the LHBS during lunch and got a 3 gallon BB with stopper, some airlocks, hop bags and some DME. All so I can use the 2 gallons of 2nd runnings from the IIPA I made on Monday. I *really* hate to waste wort! :D

Weighed and milled grains for a porter I am planning to brew tomorrow; weighed out hops for the porter as well. Beamed at my four full fermentors and enjoyed that warm, fuzzy feeling knowing that the pipeline will no longer be anemic. Tomorrow's batch should bring the total to 27 gallons since 1/7. Time to purchase another 50 lb sack of 2-row.

Picked up some barrels with brettanomyces from a winery my farming business is partnered with. Going to start playing with all brettanomyces fermentation.

Just racked my first saison to secondary and holy fvckin WOW the pepper, clove and funk is in full force!!! I Was worried cause i was only able to keep it around 70° but it went from 1.062 down to 1.008 in 19 days. Super happy with wlp565 :). Now 7 days with citra and Columbus dry hops

ForumRunner_20130124_193351.png

Bottle pasteurized my ginger cider, whatever it is. I was thinking that the potassium sorbate in the cider I used to back sweeten would probably keep it from doing much refermentation, but my tester bottle said otherwise. I hadn't planned on carbing this batch at all, but it's nice this way too.

So far just checked my airlock water level on my sours. 2 were good one was low but the squares in the center bell were still covered so I think I'm ok.

A friend is coming over for dinner (chicken and dumplings with homebrew). We will be bottling and kegging the AG Caribou Slobber from my Caribrewsary, as well as sampling both it and my Arctic Brown ale that's in primary. Confirmed my 2.75 gallon batch of Black Coffee RyePA is fermenting with the recycled 05. And was disappointed to find out that the Intermediate brewing class I signed up for his semester has been canceled. Guess I will have to brew even more beer to make up for it.

Peeled labels and scrubbed bottles to prep for bottling my MOxSimcoe SMaSH next week.

Bought a CO2 tank and kegged a batch for the first time.

Cleanin up/rinsing drying buckets,fermenters,& other odds-n-ends for when I order my brew ingrdients next Friday for two batches.

1.Kegged a batch of Janet's Brown Ale.
2.Racked Surly Furious clone onto dry hops.
3. Harvested 3 jars of WLP007 from the primary of the Furious.
4. Miscellaneous cleaning.

Back