It's official, I'm having heart surgery on Feb 18th...wow, it's real now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NOTE, THIS THREAD AND THE OPERATION WAS THIS TIME LAST YEAR!! IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED......I SURVIVED. ;)

Mods, please leave this here for all to see, not move it to secret chit chat.

I haven't said anything in awhile about my heart condition, because although I knew I was going to have the surgery, I didn't know when. Well I do now.

On Friday, Feb. 18th I will be having the aortic valve of my hear replaced.

A couple days after Christmas I had the 3rd or 4th doppler, and this time the doppler tech was really thorough, and had me get into various strange positions and to cough and stuff, things none of the other techs had me do. Well evidently she finally got what noone esle was able to do, get a good picture of what was going on, and why despite the meds and stuff, I still have been struggling.

It turns out my aortic valve is "critically damaged." The surgeon today told me that normally the valve opens up to the size of a 50 cent piece, but mine only opens to the size of a dime, meaning very little blood gets through. And my heart has had to struggle to work, and becasue of it it's pretty weak and enlarged.

And the tissue of the valve is pretty calcified. It is evidently congential, I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve as opposed to the usual 3 leafs or cusps. And as I've gotten older the situation has gotten worse and worse, and only in the last couple years I've started to notice it. But thought it was something else, being and ex smoker, and getting the swine flu a few years back (which may have pushed it along more.)

The scary thing is, is that at this stage of valve damage I could have dropped dead at any time.

Which is kinda scary because, as I mentioned in the other threads I had been itching to get back into the gym around the time this got discovered by accident and do some cardio circuit work again. It coulda been bad.

So there is some good news/bad news with all this. Obvioulsy the bad news is I have to have surgery. But the good news is that the doppler showed that the drugs have been working over the last few months.

My ejection fraction has gone from around 30 percent back to about 45% (Normal is about 55%.) And some of the heart swelling has gone down.

This actually confirmed to my cardiologist that it looks like the valve problems and the cardio myopothy may indeed be connected, as opposed to to seperate issues (and therefore alcohol would have been a no-no.)

So where the original thought was that even with the valve replacement my heart would still be damaged, the thinking is now that once I recover from the surgery, and do the cardiac re-hab, I will be good as new, if not better.

All the shortness of breath, and tightness of the chest, and the inability to do much so actually go away.

And I can get my life back.

So in about three weeks they will put me on a bypass machine, turn my heart off, cut my aorta open and replace it with a piggy's valve.

I'll be in the hospital for about a week. Then home under care for about another week, and off work for anywhere from 6-12 weeks. I'll be doing cardiac rehab after about the third or forth week.

I have to make an appointment with a Dentist that the surgeon uses for a thorough cleaning and x-ray to be cleared to make sure there's no infection, and then the excitement begins.

I like the surgeon a lot, he's the chief of cardio/thoracic surgery at the hospital, and a very nice guy. He had a gentle nature, he had a good way of explaining things, and a good sense of humor. So I'm confident in him.

So wow...this is pretty damn freaky, eh? I'm pretty shocked. But if it means this will be over and I'll feel better, than it's a good thing.

I'm just really glad I got hit in the face with that damn vintage base ball last summer.

If you guys see this...my surgery got postponed til Monday.

Best wishes, Revvy. One week in the hospital? You can do that standing on your head! Probably shouldn't though. It's amazing how far medical science has progressed. You'll be up and about in no time flat.

Best of luck to you, it must be nice (in a way) to finally know what was causing all the issues. Hope you'll have a speedy recovery!

I wish I could say I was worried for ya Revvy, but after watching these heart docs work their magic on my dad a few years ago, it's clear this **** is downright trivial to them. They sweat the oil change on their BMW more.

Just think of it as a ticker tune-up!

Here's what's gonna happen....wow.

The will be doing the less invasive version of this evidently, and I get a pig's valve.

Aortic valve replacement

The surgeon makes an incision in the chest
h9991261_002.jpg

Aortic valve replacement surgery may be done as an open-heart surgery or as a less invasive surgery (where the surgeon makes smaller incisions and does not open the chest). This slideshow shows the surgery as an open-heart surgery. To replace the damaged aortic valve, the surgeon first makes an incision in the chest and cuts through the breastbone (sternum).

The chest is opened to expose the heart
h9991261_003.jpg

Then, the surgeon opens the chest with a retractor to expose the heart. The surgeon opens the lining that protects the heart (pericardium).

The damaged aortic valve is removed
h9991304_005.jpg

Next, the surgeon removes the damaged aortic valve.

The artificial valve is sewn in place
h9991304_006.jpg

Finally, the surgeon inserts the artificial valve into the aorta. The artificial valve (also called a prosthetic valve) may be either mechanical or made of human or animal (pig) tissue. The surgeon sews the valve to the annulus, which is a ring of tissue that connects to the leaflets of the aortic valve.

I wish you all the best, Revvy. I'm sure you'll come through with flying colors.

But first the swine flu, now a pig valve? You aren't turning Furrie on us, are you? :)

Revvy, I have a couple of my homebrews I would like your opinion on, can I come over to see you sometime in March/April? I would love to meet you.
Jim

So do you have to buy the whole pig for the valve or can you buy just the valve?

Maybe you could sell the rest of the pig to cover the rest of the procedure? I do love me some bacon and some ham hocks for the sunday beans ;) Put me down for those if your selling the rest of this hog.

Oh and speedy recovery.

Rev Man - Hang tough.

I had a heart procedure kind of similar to yours 5 years ago (I'm 53). Valve replaced and "electrophysiology cauterization". It came out of the blue, and now I'm out of the woods, it's amazing what these Docs can do.

Anyway, best wishes from the Ozarks !

For what it is worth, admittedly not much, I got into and won my first and last fistfight 3 days after my surgery. I'm 6-4 and never had problems with people picking fights, but she just pissed me off.

Revvy, you'll be back here in no time, cutting & pasting the same answers to the new homebrewers.

My prayers are with you Revvy! Us newbs will be stupid around here during your recovery, so let's hope it's as quick as possible!

revvy, glad to hear you are getting the less invasive one. my brother had the full open sternum and got the synthetic valve. it was even more invasive for him than it should have been... you can do it! good luck with everything.

I was feeling a little sorry for myself because am having a disc in my spine replaced until i see what a real surgery looks like. Good luck and return soon.. "my airlock stopped, is it done?" threads won't be the same until your back and feel better!

Good luck Revvy, my brother just had his heart valve repaired. The doc told us he would try to repair instead of replace and so far so good. If my brother can pull thru (man does he have a boatload of challenges going on) then you will said thru.

It sounds as though the level of certainty is high, which is a good thing. And this is not 1970, so the operation will be easy-peasy. Somewhere around late Feb, you'll have all kinds of time to spend on the Beginner's forum - Lord knows they need it - I think we got a new crop there!

Do what the docs tell ya, but I gotta think this is all good stuff - scary, but good.

Thoughts and prayers for you, young feller! :D

Scary road to travel, but a great place to be in the end.

Keep us posted, good luck! We will be thinking about you.

So in about three weeks they will put me on a bypass machine, turn my heart off, cut my aorta open and replace it with a piggy's valve.

Anyone else find that supremely ****ed up?

:eek:

PS: All the best to you, Revvy! You'll be fine; this stuff is run-of-the-mill these days! :)

Besides, HBT needs you!

So if you get the pig valve, can you still eat spareribs? :D
Seriously though, best of luck to you Revvy; hope you recovery goes well & quickly. Regards, GF.

Back