Official PMBS build thread....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
My official "Poor Mans Brew Stand" Build thread..

I can't afford the money or headache to even think about the shiny Brutus systems and tippy dumps and what not...

But I'm about to go AG, and I though I best put at least a 'little' effort into making it somewhat efficient and easy to use...

So the goals were to:
A) Get all this crap outta my house
B) Store it all in one place as neatly and compactly as possible
C) Don't spend much moola
D) Use gravity as much as possible to move liquids around
E) Simplify Cleaning and brewing on brew day..

So here is the space I am choosing to do this.. It's on the service porch where I store hardwoods for burning.. It's right next to the laundry/utility room, which is right off of the kitchen, so it's a good spot.. And it also has a hose bib for water, and a power outlet right in the corner I want to put it....

Yeah, I know.. I gotta sweep up all the firewood bark..

I can use this spot until the bugs come out in mid-to late spring, by which time I hope to have my back covered patio finished screening in, and can move the operation there... That's a better place anyways, because I have tunes there, and I BBQ there...not to mention it's right off of the party room/bar where the kegerator is..

Anyways, here's the temp location:
PMBS_build_1.jpg

So here are some pictures of the initial progress of the PMBS...

There are a couple pockets built into this that don't make a lot of sense at this point... and I could label all this in Photoshop.. but rather than go through that hassle, I'll just keep posting pics, and they will all become self explanatory in a day or so..

So here I have cut and assembled the base and interior dividers..

PMBS_build_2.jpg

PMBS_build_3.jpg

And here it is turned right side up, with a 6.5G carboy and a bucket in it to show the size and purpose of the main storage area..

It's got enough space in there to store two of those carboys, as well as 4 food grade buckets, and still has space for yet another 6.5G carboy or two more buckets...

It also has space for a 5G propane cylinder..

PMBS_build_4.jpg

PMBS_build_5.jpg

I put the top on today and brought it home (I had been building it at a customers job as all my tools were there already and I didn't want to bring them back and forth every day)..

Will post pictures of that tomorrow in its intended location.. and you'll get a better idea of what the plan is..

So here is the basic set up....
Nothing fancy, just practical..
Plenty of room for storage...
PMBS_build_6.jpg

And here is the basic set up for mash and collection
PMBS_build_7.jpg

After collection, the wort is poured back into the BK, and brewed... After boil, wort is chilled and drained into carboys...
PMBS_build_8.jpg

So I gotta throw a coat of paint on it, build my lautering manifold, move it to where it goes and then try it out... I can dress it up a little after that...

After that, I gotta build the tool box/step... and then onto a counterflow chiller that will be mounted flat on the underside of the whole assembly.. which will bring up a whole new set of questions from me...
:D

Need to have another coupling welded into the keggle so I can move the thermo and install a sight glass.. as well as buy one of those fancy FBs from Jaybird....

Nice work. If you happen to come across a cheap/free mini fridge you could always turn the storage area underneath into a ferm chamber.

Thanks guys... Sometime down the road, I'm gonna try and make it look antiquish cool... was also thinking of routing a channel around the edge on the top with a little routed bowl and drain in one corner to contain and drain away spillage..

Might take a torch to the whole thing and wire brush it and use a green stain before sealing.. Then build a little cabinet front on it out of carpenter ant damaged cedar planks and an antique glass door.....

want to build a flat counterflow chiller on the thing, and mount it underneath where the wheels are, but still trying to figure out how to do that without a pump...

Considering putting it inside the cabinet under the top, but don't know if the loss of head space will cause problems...

Appears to be no way out of lifting buckets of runnings up high and manually dumping them in the BK... Maybe I can figure out how to not do that too at some point.. Will probably involve a pump though...

Hoping to have it ready to use this weekend for my first 10G AG brew.... but I gotta figure out what to do with the pale ale that is fermenting in one of the carboys first though...

Might try using a corny as a secondary.. kicking that around...

Here it is primered, painted (to match house) and in place.. did a test fire of heating 12G of water to boil night before last... took 22 mins to heat from 125 degrees to 170 degrees with ambient temps in the mid twenties and some wind, and an additional 20-25 mins to get to boiling...

Getting ideas flushed out in my head as to where to go from here, combination steps/equip box is next, then an integrated/hidden gravity fed CFC...

Want to brew a 10G AG IPA later today if I can come up with the handful of parts I need to take care of a couple loose ends..

PMBS_build_9.jpg

PMBS_build_10.jpg

Looks good. Just curious, approx how much did it cost? I assume would and the rolling casters to be the majority of the cost. I have an old tv stand that converted to a brew kettle stand very similar to this. Unfortunately I have a second "stand" that holds my mlt. I have been thinking of building something similar to this so that they are all together and I really like your storage idea.

I got the casters at harbor freight.. They were on sale.. two locking casters and two fixed were about $15 plus tax if I remember correctly.. The stand cost $40 for two sheets of 3/4" plywood, and I have enough left over (three fourths of a sheet) to make my steps/storage box... possibly even the second top to house the CFC... I already had the paint, glue, finish nails...

I think this is gonna work out well for me for a while and them some...
:rockin:

Okay.. So I started onto the next phase of the Poor Mans Brew Stand and wanted to update the thread..

But first, a few pics from my first attempt at AG brewing using the basic stand..

READY FOR ACTION
1st_AG_Brewday_01.jpg

MASHING
1st_AG_Brewday_02.jpg

COLLECTING THE 1ST RUNNINGS
1st_AG_Brewday_03.jpg

COLLECTING THE SPARGE
1st_AG_Brewday_04.jpg

The Mash is done and the boil started(familiar territory now)

SO TIME TO ENJOY SOME FRUITS OF PRIOR LABOR
NEXT HOP ADDITION AT THE READY
1st_AG_Brewday_05.jpg

MMMMM..... SMELLS GOOD!
1st_AG_Brewday_06.jpg

FINISHING HOPS ADDED, READY FOR FLAMEOUT
1st_AG_Brewday_07.jpg

I ran into a couple problems during my first 10G boil.. As such, I decided that my first priority was to get rid of that Immersion Chiller, and build a CFC or buy a plate chiller..

I contemplated getting a plate chiller, but that meant I would have to deal with the hops straining 'first'.. Jaybirds Hop Stopper and whirlpool paddle come to about $175 with tax, and the plate chiller with fittings would easily come to at least another $125-150.. So I chose to build the custom CFC I had been pondering, as that would come in around $200 with all of the extra plumbing and what not I'd been planning to solve the other issues I had...

I can run hot/cold break through the CFC without worry, and get Jaybirds setup later.. The CFC will allow me to solve my problems and keep the pipeline going with minimal interruption... I'm laying all the ins and outs out so that I can add a march pump sometime in the future and recirculate the wort during cooling and also use the pump to move the mash runnings from collection buckets into the boil kettle....

It's turning out to be a real PITA, because I have to drill and grind out the stops in the copper tees (18 of them)... but I'm almost through the worst of the project..

Here's a couple pictures from night before last.... Las night I finished all the dry fitting of the main chiller assy, and will post pictures of that tonight or tomorrow morning.. I'm hoping to start sweating the fittings tonite...

PMBS_build_11.jpg

PMBS_build_12.jpg

Looking killer. What problems were you having with your IC?

I lost siphon, and the pickup tube runs through the IC coils.. So it was way in the way when I was trying to get in there to remove the pickup tube without contaminating the remaining wort... Losing siphon was the other problem I ran into that day.. which I will also be dealing with before my next brew...

Second, it's a PITA hooking up and unhooking the water lines (the hose bib is in an awkward place)

third, the ends of thing keeps stabbing me in the head when I pick up the kettle to move it (or walk by)

Finally, it's in the way when stirring, cleaning, etc...

With this integrated CFC, I will have two ball valves supplying water, and they will be under pressure during the whole brew day.. One will control the supply of cooling water to the CFC, the other will supply fill water for the HLT/BK.... or for whatever else I might need water for (making a cleaning solution or sanitizer solution, etc.)

Right where it is....

I'll be building another top for the PMBS, that will actually be a box with an internal height of about 3 inches... It will sit on top of the existing top, and simply lifting it up and flipping it over will give me access to all the plumbing inside (not that I anticipate a need to do that)..

The chiller will actually be attached to this new short (bottomless) box (to the underside of the top)...

Looks like your PMBS is increasing in value! You may need to change the name.

Naw, I'll just change the meaning!

Originally it was a brew stand that a poor man can afford to build... Now it's becoming a brew stand that ensures you remain a poor man!
:mug:

The funny thing is, that I measured it out and there's just enough room to get three keggles on there.. So this could go on forever!

Gonna try and put the brakes on for a while after the chiller is built and functioning.. with the exception of a wooden box to store all the small stuff, and a 6" high drawer that will sit under the burner to store all the hoses, I plan on just doing some brewing for a while... Especially seeing as I still need to buy a at least a couple more cornys and a bigger CO2 bottle...

I have another hobby that needs attention for a while.. and the goal of that one is to actually 'make' money..

Not to mention that I may have an expensive vehicle issue coming up (transmission)...

BTW.. I have enough plywood left over from the original build to build the chiller box, the drawer and the storage box (when I add in a few scraps I have laying around).. I still have a 2' x 4' piece and a 4' x 4' piece left over from the original build...

Okay, here's where I was last night (took pics this morning)..

All the dry fitting is done except for the plumbing hook ups to the outside world...
PMBS_build_13.jpg

PMBS_build_14.jpg

And here is where I am now, as of about 30 mins ago...

The main chiller is all soldered.. Only the very beginning and end is not soldered.. I first need to cut and dry fit all the ins/outs to the outside world...

The chiller allows for exactly 30' of cooling water in contact with tubing carrying wort...

But I'm relieved that the bulk of the plumbing work is behind me..
PMBS_build_15.jpg

Thanks! I have most of the ins/out dry fitted now.. After I finish a few non-related things I gotta do, I'm gonna solder them up, and go get a few odds and ends I need... Then hopefully I can test for leaks tonite, and build the box tomorrow.. Paint Saturday, and Brew Sunday!
:ban:

Copper looks like crap after a while due to oxidizing, so there's little point in even trying to leave it visible.. Not to mention, any attempt to do so, would hamper the 'practicality' of the PMBS.. which is one of the main priorities...

I can always show a 'picture' to anyone who is curious.. And then they will see the 'new and shiny' version...

Besides, I think it will be kinda cool to 'hide' everything, and make people wonder.. "What the heck? How does it work?" Especially those who somewhat understand the brew process (ie, the need for chilling the wort)...
:mug:

Well, things went fast and well today ... 'until' it came time to sweat in the ball valves... CHEAP CHINESE CRAP FROM LOWES!

You know, more and more the discount is just not worth it...

I put heat to these things and before they were hot enough to melt solder, they came apart... I'm not sure how they were fastened in the first place, except that mnaybe they wer press fitted on either side of the silicone gasket.. ..

Whatever, I used some quality FIP ball valves purchased from a local wholesale house in their place...

So, after that two and a half hour fiasco... I finally have completed the PMBS CFC unit! I wasn't able to test it under pressure yet, as I ran out of time.. and need a couple doo dads.. but as long as I don't have any leaks anywhere near them dang ball valves.. I'm cool...

So here it is.. next I need to build the cover for it, and then get the fittings/adapters to build the hoses to put it to good use..

The other ball valve, that currently isn't connected to anything, will be for general purpose water, and will eventually be plumbed through a filter so that I can use it to fill the HLT/BK with water...

It doesn't need to be any more finished than it is for now though...

PMBS_build_16.jpg

PMBS_build_17.jpg

PMBS_build_18.jpg

YAY!!!!!

No Leaks!!!

:ban::ban::ban:

Cut most of the plywood pieces I need for the enclosure.. just need a few hose fittings and what not, then I'm off to the races..
:rockin:

I love this build! You're making me rethink my idea for a poor man's brewing tree. A single rolling cart using buckets for wort collection is a lot more practical and a lot less expensive!

The cool thing about it, is when it's all said and done.. I'll be able to store 'everything; in it... outside of the house... hoses, fittings, paperwork, spoons, paddles, cleaning brushes, measuring devices, cleaners and sanitizers, etc.. everything (except for cornys, which I'm planning on keeping busy by holding beer anyways)!

It's the next best thing to a brew shack!

So yesterday I went and got the doo dads I needed in the morning, and then came back and slapped together the box cover for the chiller... made up the hoses and what not, and then moved back out onto the porch for a test run..

Notice the Poor mans Thrumometer (PMT:D)! Less than 5 dollars total.... I'll get some clear Heat Shrink in the future to replace the tie wraps.. but for now, this works 'great'..

PMBS_build_19.jpg

THE TEST....

I removed the IC (yay!) and filled the keggle with 15 gallons of 34 degree water, and heated to a boil (88 mins)... Then I started the cooling water through the chiller, and then opened the valve up on the keggle, and then opened the ball valve at the end of my fill tube...

Wow! I thought I was going to have to slow down the wort to allow it to cool.. but the opposite is true, I have to slow down the chill water to prevent 'overcooling!'

So I was able to drain the keggle at full speed and with the cooling water throttled back to about 40-50 percent, I achieved a steady 64 degrees out of the chiller.. I dumped the output into buckets so I could double check the temp with a floating thermometer (and it was the same as what the PMT said)...

I forgot the exact time it took to drain, but I think it was under 8 minutes to drain and cool 15 gallons from boiling to pitching temp..

That is 'AWESOME!' in my opinion..

I'm gonna test it out a couple more times as to run hot water through the system, then run some PBW through it, some star san, and then boil up a 5 gallon extract batch of IPA tonight...

I'm 'stoked' at how well this thing works!

Next upgrade is to install a five and a half inch high T1-11 plywood skirt around the chiller box for looks and safety, and then paint it... Then a 2'x2'x6"h drawer box to sit under the burner stand for storing hoses and increasing gravity feed pressure to the mash tun...

So, hopefully.. next weekend, I'll be doing my second AG batch of ale..

Used the new setup last nite....

Life is 'much' easier now... The whole brew process, from preparation, to brewing, to transfer, to cleanup, seems 'way' simpler, straight forward, and problem free...

now just a little paint, a couple storage drawers, and I can finally just settle down and 'brew'...
:ban:

Back