How to get the bacon flavor in my Wake'n Bacon Breakfast Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennisim

Reaction score
I was originally going to cook 4lbs of bacon in the oven, soak up all the fat, then throw it in my secondary.

Now I found this online: http://www.torani.com/products/bacon-syrup

Has anyone come across this before or have any experience with it? I wonder if it would give more of a bacon flavor than just adding bacon to the secondary would. Just brewed the beer yesterday so I won't be adding the bacon for at least another week or so (enough time to order the bacon syrup). Thoughts?

Cook down the bacon, take the fat and add it to a strong alcohol. I've seen brandy and bourbon used in other recipes, but if you want to avoid adding a lot of non bacon flavor to your beer I'd go with vodka or everclear.

Let the container with alcohol and bacon fat sit room temp for a week or so, then put it in the freezer. The fat will form a nice hard cap over the liquid that you can just pull out in one or two big chunks.

Discard the fat (or cook up some eggs with it), and add the liquor to your beer.

Cook down the bacon, take the fat and add it to a strong alcohol. I've seen brandy and bourbon used in other recipes, but if you want to avoid adding a lot of non bacon flavor to your beer I'd go with vodka or everclear.

Let the container with alcohol and bacon fat sit room temp for a week or so, then put it in the freezer. The fat will form a nice hard cap over the liquid that you can just pull out in one or two big chunks.

Discard the fat (or cook up some eggs with it), and add the liquor to your beer.

Good call!

+1 on smoked malt...1/2lb in a 12lb grain bill can overpower with bacon flavor.

+1 on smoked malt...1/2lb in a 12lb grain bill can overpower with bacon flavor.

That would probably be peated malt. I wouldn't hesitate using 1/3 of the total grist as smoked malt. For a bacon flavor I would cold smoke 1/3 to 1/2 the base malt with Hickory. Something like 1/4 lb of Hickory Chips to 5 lbs. grains, low & slow!! Cheers!!!

If I were adding the vodka/bacon mix to my beer, would you add to secondary or simply add at bottling? Thank you. -Matt

A late comment judging by the posts in the thread, but I just brewed an a.g. porter with bacon in the primary. I did try just putting some Baco's in a shot of vodka x a couple days and it tasted like bacon. If this doesn't give me the flavor I want by just adding in to steep, I'll probably add an infused neutral spirit. I also had 30% Weyermann's smoked malt in my grain bill. We'll see!

Back