Questions about a first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oooFishy

Reaction score
I just did my first all grain batch a couple weeks ago. I haven't upgraded from my 5 gallon pot, so I was forced to boil my first runnings in a couple of smaller sized kitchen pots, while my second runnings from the sparge went into my 5 gallon pot. Later when the worts had boiled down somewhat I was able to combine them in my 5 gallon. During the boil of my first runnings I noticed a ton of white, thick, trub that had formed that def wasn't there before. There was really a ton of it. I did a starch conversion test, which turned out fine. Is this normal? I was thinking that maybe becuase the pots were much smaller than the 5 gallon, the wort in each of them got much hotter. Not sure if this would have any affect however, just a possibility. Obviously I haven't had a chance to try the finished product, so I was wondering if this is an acceptable way to do an AG. I'll prob upgrade by my next batch, I'm just not too excited about dropping another 100$+ on a propane stove...

Any ideas welcome.

Sounds like grain particles, since it was in the first runnings and not the later. Multiple pots is a tough way to do AG, but it works. Try re-circulating the wort [someone supply the correct brewing term here, I had a bad night] more before taking the first runnings.

Back