GF Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterbronski

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

Bottled my GF Saison today. Tastes fantastic already. Can't wait for it to carbonate and condition in the bottle.

Starting gravity = 1.076
Final gravity = 1.024

This puppy fermented for 6 full weeks before gravity readings stabilized and it was ready to bottle. I also transferred it to another carboy twice to clarify (once at 2 weeks into fermentation, and again at 4 weeks).

Used sorghum syrup as the main fermentable. A little sweet orange peel and coriander for seasoning. Czech Saaz hops for bittering, Amarillo for aroma.

What does everyone else have in the works right now?

Cheers,
Pete

I just bottled an IPA yesterday and it tasted pretty damn good. Looking forward to this!

On Friday I brewed a Wit beer for fun. Used some bitter and sweet orange peel and some coriander. should be interesting.

Looking to do some fall/winter type beers next.

On Wednesday night I am going to bottle a GF Pilsner (I used dkershner's recipe). This beer looks and smells awesome so far. Very excited to taste the finished product!

I've got a gf porter on tap right now. It's still good, but it is past it's prime. If my hops are ready to be picked this weekend, I'm going to do a regular and a gf IPA. And I've still got about 10lbs of malted buckwheat that will be used to make a hefe.

Just brewed a Gluten-Free Agave Wit.

Recipe:
3lbs Sorghum Extract
2.75 lbs Brown Rice Extract
1 lbs Agave Nectar
2 lbs Raw Millet Grain*
0.75 oz Cascade (30 min)
2 oz Grapefruit Peel (15 min)
0.5 oz Coriander (15 min)
0.75 oz Cascade (5 min)

WLPP400 Yeast - White Labs Belgian Wit
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient

SRM: 4
IBU: 13
OG: 1.052
Est. FG: 1.012
Cal/pint: 231

Even the wort tastes amazing on this one, so I'm glad that Wit's don't take long to finish. Just brewed it last night and I'm already wanting to drink it.

*Mash in 1 gal at 155F, rest 30 min, remove liquid, set aside, boil 0.5 gal and put grain bag in boiling water, cut heat and rest 30 min, combine liquids and reduce to 122F for protein rest, rest 30 min, bring up with direct heat to 155F add amylase and wait for freakin' ever (about 2 hours, but should have waited a day), then start the rest of brewing. Efficiency was extremely low due to being raw, got about 1.018/lbs of grain per gallon out of it. Flavor was weak, but spent grain tasted spent, and seemed to contribute some protein to the wort. And hasn't had large amounts of sediment.

PS
Do you have any idea how long it takes for a wort chiller to get the wort down to 70F when your tap water is 82F? Stupid Texas.

Hey Gang,

Bottled my GF Saison today. Tastes fantastic already. Can't wait for it to carbonate and condition in the bottle.

What yeast did you use?

I made a blonde with almost no sorghum...jury is still out on that one. I will make Jaimi drink some soon.

On Wednesday night I am going to bottle a GF Pilsner (I used dkershner's recipe). This beer looks and smells awesome so far. Very excited to taste the finished product!

Let me know how it comes out, I am interested to try something like that beer again.:mug:

Let me know how it comes out, I am interested to try something like that beer again.:mug:

This beer is awesome!!!!! I gave it two weeks to bottle condition, and it has carbed up nicely. This is the first GF beer that my wife has drunk in its entirety....and that says a lot!

This beer is clear, crisp, and delcious. No sorghum twang, and the hops are mellow. This is the perfect session beer. Thanks for posting the recipe. I will brew this again.

This beer is awesome!!!!! I gave it two weeks to bottle condition, and it has carbed up nicely. This is the first GF beer that my wife has drunk in its entirety....and that says a lot!

This beer is clear, crisp, and delcious. No sorghum twang, and the hops are mellow. This is the perfect session beer. Thanks for posting the recipe. I will brew this again.

Not a problem...I will be experimenting with something very light again before next summer, it will certainly be based off of this recipe.

This one?

I also made a link in my sig to all of my gluten free recipes to make it easier to find anything I have made that you guys are looking for.

What temp did you ferment this at? was it 52F, then a 60F diacytl rest overnight, then what temp did you lager at?

I'm keen to give this a go when my primary is free in about a week.

What temp did you ferment this at? was it 52F, then a 60F diacytl rest overnight, then what temp did you lager at?

I'm keen to give this a go when my primary is free in about a week.

Wow, I realized the temps aren't on the sheets...random.

I always lager at 38F. Diacetyl rest was 60F. Ferment temp was...not sure right now. Will update this post tomorrow. For now, my guess is 50F.

EDIT: It was indeed 50F.

Back