First PM: Should I 'step mash' or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
All -
Not sure if more details about my recipe are needed... but the plan was to follow deathbrewers sticky and do my first partial mash this weekend. [Basically to keep it at 155F-ish for the whole time.]

Then I am re-reading Papazians book and he mentions is just about all of his partial mash recipes to go 133F for 15min then 155F for 45 min then raise to 167F then sparge with 170F (times and temps are approximations as I dont have the book in front of me.)

I have no problem with using either method - or a hybrid of the two.... Is this another one of those Bucket V. Carboy or Primary V. Secondary topics that I am asking about? One in which there are 3-4 answers and all are basically fine?

Thanks for any advice, comments or tips.

Malt has changed a ton since TCJOHBing was written. Chuck P had to deal with undermodified malt back then (which required a step-mash)

If you are using 2-row (unless it says that it's undermodified) I wouldn't bother with a step-mash. Single infusion is all you need.

Back