Irish Red Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ichthy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks in advance to anyone that has some recommendations. :mug:

This is the first Irish Red Recipe I've made, so I'm all ears.

Irish Red - Irish Red Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.250 gal
Boil Size: 6.375 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.010
ABV: 5.1%
Bitterness: 21.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 11 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 8.500 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 74% 40 L
Roasted Barley Grain 4.000 oz Yes No 55% 300 L
Barley, Flaked Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 70% 2 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time IBU
Kent Goldings 5.5% 1.000 oz Boil 45.000 min 17.7
Fuggles 4.5% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min 3.9

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Target Time
Conversion Infusion 3.331 gal 155.000 F 1.000 hr
Batch Sparge Infusion 4.501 gal 165.200 F 15.000 min

I don't have easy access to MO, so it's out of the question for base malts. Also, how would S04 be for an Irish Red?? Too fruity? Is the flaked barley needed or out of style? I though it would impart a nice mouthfeel, but if it doesn't belong I'll scrap it.

Thanks again.

Hi, I think it looks pretty good. I was going to ask about the flaked barley, I don't think its necessary, but its always fun to experiment with something new. Are you adding the roasted barley at the mashout? This will help add color without the roasty flavor. I recently used the whitelabs edinburgh yeast strain for a red ale - it attenuated better than I thought it might, but can't report on how it turned out yet, not yet in bottles. I also used english hops, but increased the amounts from what you have (had about 28 ibu).

Cheers!

Thanks for the response pappers. I'll be mashing the roasted barley. I wanted a subtle hint of roastiness. The local brewpub has an Irish Red on tap right now, and I swear I could get a hint of roasted barley. It was really good, so that's what I'm going for. How roasty do you think this thing will turn out? Or should I reduce the roasted a tad more?

re yeast. Stylistically, is it okay to use an english strain the might be a little fruitier than notty?? Truthfully, I'm not a stickler to style, just use it as a guideline.

Thanks again and happy brewing. :mug:

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category9.php#style9D

According to this, Irish Red Ale should exhibit no esters.

On the other hand, Red Ale has become like a lot of beer styles - very diverse, especially on this side of the pond. But if you're going by the style guidelines, you want a clean yeast strain, fermented at low temperatures. The guidelines even talk about using a lager yeast.

Recipe in my dropdown took 1st place at the HBT comp last year... Just sayin'. ;)

A pound of crystal is definitely too much. 8oz is probably OK. I would definitely stay under that.

I would go with US-05 if you want dry yeast. S-04 is definitely too estery.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category9.php#style9D

According to this, Irish Red Ale should exhibit no esters.

On the other hand, Red Ale has become like a lot of beer styles - very diverse, especially on this side of the pond. But if you're going by the style guidelines, you want a clean yeast strain, fermented at low temperatures. The guidelines even talk about using a lager yeast.

Got it, Notty it is, I just washed some the other day. I may try some S05 though.

Recipe in my dropdown took 1st place at the HBT comp last year... Just sayin'.

A pound of crystal is definitely too much. 8oz is probably OK. I would definitely stay under that.

I would go with US-05 if you want dry yeast. S-04 is definitely too estery.

Why is a pound of Caramel 60 too much? Will it be too sweet or hide the roasted barley? I'm not arguing, just curious as to why you suggest otherwise. Should I use something besides C60?

Thanks again guys for your help.

Anthony, I don't think I've ever seen 140L crystal, most recipes seem to call for 40 or 60 L. Some also use very small amounts of roasted barley, either mashed or added at mash out (for color but not flavor).

Why is a pound of Caramel 60 too much? Will it be too sweet or hide the roasted barley? I'm not arguing, just curious as to why you suggest otherwise. Should I use something besides C60?

Far too sweet. You want it to be balanced up front with a dry finish. IPAs, same thing, most homebrews I have had in both styles are far too sweet because the crystal is too much.

Far too sweet. You want it to be balanced up front with a dry finish. IPAs, same thing, most homebrews I have had in both styles are far too sweet because the crystal is too much.

True to style Irish Reds do have a dry finish. But generally, 1 lb of caramel in a total grain bill of 9 or 10 lbs is not going to give a tremendously, horrifically sweet beer. Just my two cents - but I don't have an award winning recipe like Saccharomyces does :) You should listen to him.

OK Thanks guys :mug:

I'll update the OP to reflect your recommendations. Can't wait to brew this thing!

Anthony, I don't think I've ever seen 140L crystal, most recipes seem to call for 40 or 60 L. Some also use very small amounts of roasted barley, either mashed or added at mash out (for color but not flavor).

I can understand that.

I wonder what I should use the 2 pounds of Baird's Crystal 140L for....

Where did your final SRM fall? Your recipe says "Ruby Red." I am also working on a recipe for an Irish Red. I always enjoy the expirimentation of doing my own recipe, but I like to look at great recipes like your to make sure I'm in line with the style. Here is my potential grain bill:

8.54 Lbs UK 2-Row Pale Malt
2.76 Lbs Vienna Malt
0.62 Lbs CaraRed
0.25 Lbs Roasted Barley
0.25 Lbs Crystal 120
0.13 Lbs Special B

1.00 Oz Willamette 60 Mins
1.00 Oz Willamette 15 Mins

Wyeast #1450 - Denny's Favorite 50 Yeast

Targets:

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.013