Reusing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berley31

Reaction score
As long as they appear ok, are all non-screwtop bottles ok to reuse continuously for homebrewing? I've read the odd thing stating that a lot of bottles are meant for one-time-use only, and if reused for higher-carbonated beers, such as hefeweizens, may grow weaker and be more prone to explode.

The only ones I don't reuse are some imports that have a different sized neck, and any that aren't brown glass.

I bought my original bottles from the LHBS and kept using them until I started kegging a couple of years later. As long as they are high quality bottles you shouldn't have a problem.

John

everyone reuses bottles. some will break there isn't much you can do about it. thats why you keep spares.

as long as they aren't twist-offs, and ARE brown, I'll use and reuse em. although lately I have been choosing bottles that are not strange shapes and sizes, so they will fit in cases easier.

The only ones I don't reuse are some imports that have a different sized neck, and any that aren't brown glass.

I worded this poorly. I don't use any that have a different sized neck, for obvious reasons. I do not use clear or green bottles, only brown.

If you think about it, the process of bottling, and shipping bottles of beer from the brewery is hardest on the bottles. Once they are in the hands of a homebrewer they spend most of the time sitting around.

If you think about it, the process of bottling, and shipping bottles of beer from the brewery is hardest on the bottles. Once they are in the hands of a homebrewer they spend most of the time sitting around.

This is very true. I have so many empty bottles laying around my apartment right now. I will pretty much reuse any pry-top bottle I can find.

Back