Guinness type beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dae06

Reaction score
What kind of beer (kit) do I need to look for if I want to make a Guiness type beer. I would actually like one with a little less bitterness than Guiness.

Any suggestions?

dry stout. but unless you get your water chemistry right its not going to taste exactly the same as the real thing.

dry stout. but unless you get your water chemistry right its not going to taste exactly the same as the real thing.

How do I know what the water chemistry should be? Are you talking mainly PH, or other factors. I will be chlorine and chloramine free.:cross:

Here are the basics on dry stout (Guiness). I had a good homebrewed dry stout where the brewer added some lactic acid instead of adding a percentage of soured beer. I think it got a general consensus of around 35ish in my BJCP class. Think it might have been a Midwest kit.

I wouldn't worry too much about water at the moment. If you are pretty new to brewing, it can get very confusing, very fast. I'd see how it comes out, and if you aren't satisfied, tweak the water.

According to beer smith Dublin has:
Ca 115 ppm
Mg 4.0 ppm
Na 12 ppm
SO4 55 ppm
Cl 19 ppm
HCO3 200 ppm

Although I also read I think in the "Stout" book from brewers association that they now get their water from some nearby mountain?

the water chemistry for Dublin (i think thats where Guiness is brewed) is fairly well known you can probably find it on the net somewhere. personally i've never been so dedicated to actually try to mimic a brew's water profile so i don't know.

i'm talking mainly of PH but there are other factors that are just part of the water that will affect the taste. but seeing is your a beginner (or at least posting in that forum) i wouldn't bother with adjusting the water profile just brew the beer and be happy.

ph , chemicals and minerals in your water are what you need to figure out. I would suggest starting with bottled water for your first batch of Guinness clone and see how you like it. If its not close enough for your taste then you can get into the chemistry of adding stuff to your water.

This is a clone recipe from another site....It has the notes for extract at the bottom

With a case of Guinness, in my neck of the woods, costing around 35 bucks, it doesn't take a genius to fiqure out that it is cheaper to make your own. The original recipe is for an all-grain brewer, but I have listed the substitutions for the extract brewer.
Ingredients:

7 pounds, Crushed pale malt
2 pounds, Flaked barley

1 pound, crushed roast barley
1 ounce, bullion hops

3 ounces, northern brewer hops
1 tsp. CaCO3 (if you are in a soft water area)

yeast starter made from a bottle of Guinness or a liquid yeast
OG: 1045-1053

Extract brewers: Substitute 2 cans of a light extract for the 7 pounds of pale malt. Also, if you don't want to make a yeast starter use Whitelabs Irish Ale yeast or Wyeast Irish Ale yeast.
I generally boil at 60 minutes, 30 minutes and 15 minutes and add my hops in at those intervals. At the 15 minute mark, I also use Irish moss to help settle the solids.

This is an interesting one as well.

Originally Posted by ericsbeerpage.com

http://ericsbeerpage.com/Beer/Recipe/guin.html

Ingredients:
9 lbs Brit pale ale
1 lb flaked barley
18 oz roast barley
12 oz carapils
1.5 oz No. Brewer hops (60 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings hops (60 min)

First, get the "tang" the way Guinness does: Sour about 24 oz (2 bottles) of stout (pref. Guinness) by leaving it out in a bowl a week or more & then freezing it.
While brewing, thaw the sour stout & heat it to 180-190 F for 20 min.
Mash-in at 155F, hold for 1 hour, boil 1 hour & 15 minutes.
At end boil, add the sour stout.
At 70F, pitch 2 packs of Wyeast #1084.
A month or so of cold lagering (<40F) after bottling or kegging will help.
A certified beer judge could not tell this from bottled Guinness.

Here are the basics on dry stout (Guiness). I had a good homebrewed dry stout where the brewer added some lactic acid instead of adding a percentage of soured beer. I think it got a general consensus of around 35ish in my BJCP class. Think it might have been a Midwest kit.

I wouldn't worry too much about water at the moment. If you are pretty new to brewing, it can get very confusing, very fast. I'd see how it comes out, and if you aren't satisfied, tweak the water.

Hmm,:rolleyes: I think I'll try a sweet Stout next time. Thanks

also bear in mind that a Guinness clone won't quite taste right have the right mouthfeel unless you use nitrogen/beer gas to dispense it.

not that it would be 'bad'...just not 'identical'

I have heard of using aciduated malt to replicate the sour beer addition. But I think the op is going with a sweet stout anyway.

Ever like a milk stout?

I have a bottle now. I think it is sour, not bitter.

how would you make a starter from a bottle of guiness

You wouldn't.

That only works with bottle conditioned beers.

Although there is (or atleast was) a bottle conditioned version avalible in Ireland.

Guiness here in the states has been filtered and not bottle conditioned at all.

However, Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale is said to be the same strain used by Guiness.

I have been getting ready to do a Guiness clone in the near future. Search Ode to Aruther Stout for what looks like a good AG recipe.

also bear in mind that a Guinness clone won't quite taste right have the right mouthfeel unless you use nitrogen/beer gas to dispense it.

not that it would be 'bad'...just not 'identical'

The nitrogen is a huge deal. There is no way your gonna get that light and creamy mouthfeel with out the nitorgen. Those beer gas setups can be fairly pricey. especially if you need a special nitrogen regulator. Seams like a long way to go for a dry stout.

...especially if you need a special nitrogen regulator. Seams like a long way to go for a dry stout.

True, but you can (I did) buy a regulator that is used for CO2, Air, and N. So then you only need on regulator and two tanks, and one stout faucet.

But I agree I have had Guiness on CO2 rather than Beer Gas at the bewery and there is a difference. Not a bad difference but different none the less.

True, but you can (I did) buy a regulator that is used for CO2, Air, and N. So then you only need on regulator and two tanks, and one stout faucet.

But I agree I have had Guiness on CO2 rather than Beer Gas at the bewery and there is a difference. Not a bad difference but different none the less.

I did not know there is a regulator that can take both bottles. I heard CO2 and N bottles are threaded differently. But some folks can get the beer gas mix in a CO2 bottle.

I wouldn't get hung up on all the nitrogen stuff. The first beer I made from extract was a dry stout. I didn't sour any beer and I didn't do anything with nitrogen, just bottle carbed it, and it turned out excellent. In fact I think I will go get one out of the fridge right now. :)

I wouldn't get hung up on all the nitrogen stuff. The first beer I made from extract was a dry stout. I didn't sour any beer and I didn't do anything with nitrogen, just bottle carbed it, and it turned out excellent. In fact I think I will go get one out of the fridge right now. :)

Yeah for sure. You can make a great dry stout with out any of those extra things but it won't taste like Guinness. That doesn't make it bad. In fact it could be quite a bit better then Guinness :mug:

A few things to note when making a Guinness clone is: you can get that slightly sour note from a small addition of acid malt with your steeping grain. Keep the OG down as much as you can possibly stand it. Guinness is a fairly low ABV beer. Use Target hops for bittering and Willamette to finish, and use a good Irish ale yeast, I like the White Labs. A stout tap on beer mix is the way to go to serve this beer, but if that's not possible for you then keep the carbonation fairly low and pour fast for that strong thick head and soft mouth feel.
Cheers
Jay

I did not know there is a regulator that can take both bottles. I heard CO2 and N bottles are threaded differently. But some folks can get the beer gas mix in a CO2 bottle.

They do take different threads and there is an adapter for it. The trick is having a regulator that can handle high pressure and accurately regulate it.

Guinness found in the states is not nearly as good as what I had in England/Wales/Ireland btw.

Unlike Corona Guinness is popular in the country it is from.

The Beer Gas system and widgets were developed to create a mouth feel and carbonation similar to pulled beer that is popular in Britain and Ireland. It is not a gimmick in order to cover up anything, it is a style. All the Nitrogen does is create a high pressure pour with out over carbonating it. Using the high pressure the beer is forced through a restrictor plate, simulating a sprinkler attachment on a beer engine. This is why I use Beer Gas for several styles of beers. I really enjoyed the mouthfeel/taste/carbonation of a "real ale."

In my opinion it is an excellent example of an Irish Stout.

Back