Lesson Learned: Preventing Boil-Overs (Extract Brewing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThickHead

Reaction score
While brewing my latest batch of IPA I had a revelation...

Since I was going to be making this batch so hop-heavy (extract batch) I wanted to steap and boil as much wort volume as possible. Additionally, I wanted to make this batch a 6+ gal batch as opposed to my typical 5 gal batches because I am going to dry-hop with 3 oz of whole-leaf hops. I have a 4 gal pot that I typically work with on an electric stove. I filled the pot to around 2 inches from the rim and began the steap (knowing I was pushing my luck given the boil-ups of my previous batches). 6 lbs of LME and 2 lbs of DME were really going to push the volume very near the rim of my pot.

As I was bringing my temp up towards boil from steaping temp I remembered my LHBS owner's advice about bringing the temp up slowly. After thinking about that for a moment I decided to pour in both the LME and DME prior to the wort reaching it's boiling point (my previous batches all tried to boil over during and close after DME addition at boiling temp).

The result was that the wort never came close to boiling over whatsoever. I boiled nearly 4 gal of wort with 6.5 oz of hop additions during the 60 min and the only wort that ever left the pot was from a few large rolling boil bubbles. Now the technique I described is probably one that many, many people already follow or even intuitively follow from the beginning of their brewing days. I, however, just stumbled across it and it really made my day and has been marked down as a fantastic Lesson Learned!

Another factor is that your stove is going to be struggling to keep that much volume at a boil - so, the boil you got was not as hot/violent as it would have been with a smaller batch.

Glad you didn't have a mess and hope the IPA turns out great!

Another factor is that your stove is going to be struggling to keep that much volume at a boil - so, the boil you got was not as hot/violent as it would have been with a smaller batch.

Glad you didn't have a mess and hope the IPA turns out great!

Actually, boiling temp of this batch as well as previous batches was precisely the same @ between 211.5 and 213 F I leave my thermometer in throughout the boil). I usually boil 3.5 gallons anyway, the difference of a half-gallon this batch didn't make any difference to the boil. It was definately the way in which the extract was added. My experience was night and day different this time. Previous batches always forced me to occasionally remove the pot from the burner during the first 10-15 minutes of the boil (after that it was fine).

Edit: Because I am stupid

Actually, boiling temp of this batch as well as previous batches was precisely the same @ between 111.5 and 113 F

I'm confused what altitude are you at in NC? Normal water boils at sea level at 212^ I'm at 8500 ft and I boil at 200^

Or are you meaning your just steeping at those temps?

I'm confused what altitude are you at in NC? Normal water boils at sea level at 212^ I'm at 8500 ft and I boil at 200^

Or are you meaning your just steeping at those temps?

I am at just over 2000ft here in Asheville, NC. My thermometer could certainly be off by .5 degrees F but my wort starts boiling at 211.5 F on my thermometer (i know boiling is 212 F). With 4 gal of volume in the pot my electric stove boils wort consistently at just between 212 and 213.

Bottom line is that thermometers are not always exactly accurate. I use an oil/candy type of electric probe thermometer. And water is always boiling by the time it reads 211.5...the boiling intensifies as the heat increases obviously.

Edit: For stupidity again!

No worries I just couldn't get my head around what you were trying to say ;) Didn't mean to correct you.

LOL! How could you? Now worries for correcting me. It wouldn't be the first time I needed straightening out!

Back