Ideal proportions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefromcu

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have some source or guidance on the ideal proportions for brew kettles?

What I mean is, Blichmann for instance says his kettles are the ideal 1.2 - 1 ratio of height to width. But I'm sure he is referring to the boil kettle.

But how about for the Mash Tun, or Whirlpool tank? How about the ideal size (ratio) for a lautering tank?

The reason I ask is a local fabricator has offered to make me the kettles in whatever size/proportion I want. I see no magic in three or four pots all exactly the same size - if he's going to make them, might as well get them exactly how they should be.

BTW, building a 1.5bbl system...

Cheers.

Heh, me too!

I don't think it matters for squat. My kettle is pretty wide, so the evaporation rate is high, but that also exposes more wort to the flame so my heat up times are really fast. If you were welding up your own, I'd say six inches high and 14 feet across is a bit crazy, but anything you can buy will work fine.

Back