Water Filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking at adding a filter and that is the one I had settled on. I am pairing it up with a hose that is FDA approved for drinking water since I will be running the line from my sink at a bit of a distance.

FYI, a carbon filter will not remove chloramines.

are you sure? I read this in how to brew by jon palmer: "Chloramine can be removed by running the water through an activated-charcoal filter, or by adding a campden tablet (potassium metabisulfite)." Just because it is in a book doesn't mean that it is correct.. but that is what I was going off of.

are you sure? I read this in how to brew by jon palmer: "Chloramine can be removed by running the water through an activated-charcoal filter, or by adding a campden tablet (potassium metabisulfite)." Just because it is in a book doesn't mean that it is correct.. but that is what I was going off of.

No, I am not sure at all, especially in light of what you pointed out that Palmer said. I'm only relaying what a microbiologist told me and also the same from several other sources. Palmer knows his stuff, so now I am totally confused on this subject. We don't have chloramines in our local water, so I don't have to deal with it. I use an extruded carbon block filter regularly to eliminate chlorine whatever else it can. Campden tablets will take care of the chloramines, I'm fairly certain of that.

cool, I'm just trying to get this sorted out.. I don't want to buy a filter if it sin't going to do what I need. Thanks

Yeah Cat22 - what does ?
Oh yeah, good luck this weekend !

I've got six beers running in four separate competitions on Saturday. I know at least one of them will do well. Not nearly as sure about the others. Thanks for the encouragement!

How many have you entered?

cool, I'm just trying to get this sorted out.. I don't want to buy a filter if it sin't going to do what I need. Thanks

The filter is a good bet whether or not it can specifically remove chloramines. It will reduce or remove other objectionable tastes and smells and it's just good insurance.

I've got six beers running in four separate competitions on Saturday. I know at least one of them will do well. Not nearly as sure about the others. Thanks for the encouragement!

How many have you entered?

None for this go 'round. In fact, I only have one beer on tap!!! (I have 15 gals in the pipeline though).

I just did the googles on chloramines and it seems you can find any answer you want. Lots of conflicting information.

I think carbon filters do remove chloramines but you need to run the water through slowly. I run my brewing water through a filter but then I add a bit of potassium metabisulfate to the water to get rid of any chloramines that make it through.

I think carbon filters do remove chloramines but you need to run the water through slowly. I run my brewing water through a filter but then I add a bit of potassium metabisulfate to the water to get rid of any chloramines that make it through.
Are you using camden tablets?

Latest posts

Back