Well Jimmy played harmonica in the pub where I was born...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabot

Reaction score
If anyone can help, I know it's homebrewtalk! I'm a big Pogues fan and one of my favorite songs of theirs is "Sally Maclennane". Turns out this song is not about a pretty lady, but a stout by that name.

Next logical step...make that stout! I did some searching and did find a recipe, but I'm not sure what to make of it:

1.8 kg Best Cellar Stout Kit (or Irish malts if you can get 'em)
0.5 kg dark DME
500 g flaked barley
500 g roasted barley
250 g crystal
about 10 g Cascade (boiling)
40 g Goldings (boiling)
20 g Goldings (finish)
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Actually, I know exactly what to make of all of it except the 1.8kg of Best Cellar Stout Kit (or Irish malts)...could I use some 2row Pale or MO? If so, how much?

Also, this thing has over a pound of roasted in it! That seems like a lot to me...how do you folks think this thing would taste (I would mash it around 157-160)

Lastly, it says the cascade and goldings are boiling...does that put them both at 60 min hops? Then the rest of the goldings at 10 min?

Thanks guys! (and girls)

1.8 kg Best Cellar Stout Kit (or Irish malts if you can get 'em)
0.5 kg dark DME
500 g flaked barley
500 g roasted barley
250 g crystal
about 10 g Cascade (boiling)
40 g Goldings (boiling)
20 g Goldings (finish)
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Actually, I know exactly what to make of all of it except the 1.8kg of Best Cellar Stout Kit (or Irish malts)...could I use some 2row Pale or MO? If so, how much?

Also, this thing has over a pound of roasted in it! That seems like a lot to me...how do you folks think this thing would taste (I would mash it around 157-160)

Lastly, it says the cascade and goldings are boiling...does that put them both at 60 min hops? Then the rest of the goldings at 10 min?

Thanks guys! (and girls)

Let's see what we can do here.

This looks like a recipe from back in the Good Old Days of homebrewing, before everyone started using Light extract and having real control. No real problems with it, though, from the look of it.

Yes, the 'boiling' hops are boiled for the full measure: 60 minutes. If you read an older copy of Papazian, his recipes are written like that.

In fact, this reminds me of a recipe out of NCJOHB or something. It's actually not a bad way to brew a pretty decent beer. You don't have the same measure of control over the finished product, what with dark extracts (pre-hopped!), but it's an interesting divergence into homebrewing's more recent history. Hell, I'd brew it as written instead of subbing in malt, trying to mimic dark extract, figure out the IBU of the hopped extract kit, etc. Just sub a tin of Muntons or Coopers Stout Kit for the specified kit (of which I've never heard) and let 'er rip.

Matter of fact, time's coming up when I'll have to brew some of my lawnmower beer, to have it finished in time for Spring: 1 tin of Cooper's Draught Ale kit (3.75 lbs), 1 lb Muntons Light DME, 1 oz Hallertau (flameout), fermented with Nottingham. Takes all of a half-hour to brew, readily suited to the 1-2-3 method.

I know, I know; now all of HBT knows my dirty little secret. My 'street cred' is ruined. ;) Seriously, though...When it's hot, I don't want to be challenged by my beer. I just want a frickin' beer. Or four.

Cheers!

Bob

Thanks for the input. I'll see what I can put together. It'll be two or three more brews before I can get to this one, but I'll try and remember to report back!

Back