Beer bucket explosion! (picture)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbrewtan

Reaction score
My Oaked imperial whiskey stout was fermenting so vigorously that it blew the lid off of my bucket. I calmly sanitized the lid and airlock and replaced them, but managed to take a picture of the mess for all to enjoy. Here it is!

This is inside of my DIY fermentation chamber.

image-3865817988.jpg

EDIT: fixed some typos

Secondary function of fermentation chamber.
Blast chamber!
At least it helped contain the mess.

Later on while switching from an airlock to a blow off tube, my brilliant self took off the air lock without relieving the pressure first and had beer gunk spewed all over my face. Luckily I had already moved it to a bathtub just in case. Should have taken a picture of that too I admit...

Good times!

I had that happen once. My primary was in my clothes closet, and I noticed one night that foam was coming out of the airlock. It was late and I didn't think to move to a blow off tube and instead simply moved the bucket to the kitchen. Woke up the next morning to beer all over the kitchen, but that was better than all over my clothes. Definitely learned a lesson on that one!

Thanks for the photo! I love it.

I think it's funny that it's second nature to say, "Oh no! My ceiling is covered with stout!!!! Better get the camera!" while your significant other is yelling at you. :cross:

My best advice of all time, and I still stand by it, is "Paint your ceilings beer colored". :mug:

OK...I'll say it again!

AIRLOCKS DURING INITIAL FERMENTATION ARE DANGEROUS AND SILLY.

You are making a bomb! Let it vent! Just put a piece of foil on the carboy top, or a coffee cup upside down, anything but corking it tight w/ an airloock!

Nice! I blew the top on a 90min clone... Came home half in the bag, opened the front door of the house and was greeted with the smell of hops.... All over the kitchen, I mean, everywhere. The ceiling, the walls, everywhere. Then, when I put the lid on, I caught a blast of fermenting beer to the grill through the airlock hole. Ended up being a pretty good beer!

Latest posts

Back