Ipa just won't clarify!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrubins

Reaction score
My ipa has been in the fermenter since labor day - more than 6 weeks now. It's been in water to keep cool, and I kept ice in the water ,which kept it to about 40f for a few days , but has stayed about 60 for at least 4 weeks . What can I do to clarify , or conversely, shall I just bottle it?
Thanks!

While we preach to keep your beer cool while fermenting so the yeast don't get too active and create off flavor compounds, you have gone too far. Your beer won't clarify because the yeast are still trying to complete the ferment. Warm that beer up to the upper 60's to low 70's and the yeast will complete the job and settle out. JMHO

Are you planning on dry hopping? If so. Transfer it to a secondary and dry hop it for 1 - 2 weeks @ around 70 and it will clear nicely

Thanks guys, I've already done my dry hopping, after 2weeks of fermentation at 60-70. In adrddition stable hydrometer readings for 4 days before I introduced my hops. That's been well over 4 weeks ago now.
I was thinking of bottling today anyway, and just living with cloudy beer. Should I not, and brew my next batch, waiting for this to settle out?

Thanks guys, I've already done my dry hopping, after 2weeks of fermentation at 60-70. In adrddition stable hydrometer readings for 4 days before I introduced my hops. That's been well over 4 weeks ago now.
I was thinking of bottling today anyway, and just living with cloudy beer. Should I not, and brew my next batch, waiting for this to settle out?

Yes, if it's done, but cloudy, you can bottle and try to make a clear beer next time. There are some things you can do and we can help give some pointers on the next batch.

Have you had the hops in there for a full MONTH??? :eek: Better taste it before you bottle it up. Very high probability you'll have serious off flavors from sitting on the hops THAT long. Normal recommended time frame is 14 days (or less) at 'room temp' (or fermentation temp). IF it's at keg serving temp (<40-45F) then it can be there for longer (I dry hop in keg, at 40F and have had the hops in there for 4-6 weeks without issue). Since you've had it at 60F for a month, you could be in for something unpleasant...

Have you had the hops in there for a full MONTH??? :eek: Better taste it before you bottle it up.

I tried some yesterday, it didn't seem *that* bad - actually it was pretty tasty as an IPA, but had some 'homebrewiness' to it - kind of a tannic flavor.

I'll bottle later this week and chill it in the bottle.
bottle/keg and chill chill chill, the cold will clear the beer.

Any recommendation on what temp to chill to?

Add a little Irish moss to the boil next time

I used a whirlfloc any advantage to Irish Moss instead?

You can always use gelatin.
IPA flavored Jello? mmmmmm

I made an IPA a few weeks ago that ended up with 4oz of leaf hops in the fermentation bucket. This led to the beer being really cloudy. I cold crashed it in the fridge and added some gelatine. It cleared real nicely in about 4 days.

I made an IPA a few weeks ago that ended up with 4oz of leaf hops in the fermentation bucket. This led to the beer being really cloudy. I cold crashed it in the fridge and added some gelatine. It cleared real nicely in about 4 days.

How does one use gelatine? Just normal knox gelatin? How much?

From another thread:

1. boil 2 cups of water in microwave; let cool
2. open packet of Knox gelatin, sprinkle into water
3. sanitize a spoon
4. microwave 15 seconds, remove from mike, stir
5. if gelatin doesn't disolve into water, goto step #4
6. dump into fermentor
7. wait 1 wk.

Back