cold conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosmatt

Reaction score
do you get the same conditioning properties once bottled @ room temps vs colder ?? (i.e. ~35*f)

ill splain... the last two batches i bottled after three weeks in primary.
cold crashed one for 4 days. now, after 2 weeks in bottle, both were not very good.

i put two sixers of one batch into a downstairs fridge to leave em for a while. will they continue to get better with the yeast out of suspension? am i just preserving the way it was?

fwiw, one was a 5.6% beer, and the other a 5.9% beer.
is it possible 3weeks primary, 4 weeks bottle is still too green?

did i ruin my batch!!!????!!!

ok, j/k on the last sentance. i have not seen that post in a few days.

I'm not sure I completely understand what you did.

I do know that after bottling, the bottles should be kept at 70 degrees for 3 weeks. Check for carbonation and taste, if they still need more aging then keep them at room temp. Once they've reached their optimum conditioning, you can cellar or cool them if you want, and yes it will slow down the aging process considerably.

I doubt you ruined anything, but taking them out of the fridge and aging them at room temperature will go much faster. Cold aging (lagering) is usually measured in months rather than weeks.

I generally start drinking mine after 3 weeks at room temp. If I feel they need more conditioning then I just wait to rotate them into the beer fridge. All my batches are kept at room temperature until I'm ready to put them into drinking rotation.

yeah, i wanted to get rid of some chill haze with one of the brews, the one i cold crashed before bottling is commercial beer clear. i will cold crash everything now.

just was wondering if taste continues to improve even if kept in cold storage.

thanks

I think I was confused because cold crashing is a term I usually see used for something done after fermentation, right before bottling or kegging.

And yes, chill haze does seem to mostly go away after 7-10 days in the fridge. I just usually don't put them there until I feel they're conditioned to where I want them because it does slow things down.

You're original post is a bit confusing, are you bottling then going straight to the fridge? Or are you allowing 3 weeks for carb/conditioning, then fridge?

You're original post is a bit confusing, are you bottling then going straight to the fridge? Or are you allowing 3 weeks for carb/conditioning, then fridge?

bottle.
3 weeks @ room temps.
to the freezer to cool.
nasty.

see my newer post though.
i going to pour anotheR!

Just wait till you find one in the back of the fridge thats been there for a month or two! I try to put my carbed beers in the fridge for 2 weeks. (Helps to have an extra fridge)

Beer matures as it ages and tastes better. At the schedule you listed in your post, yes it is still green. I brew 10G at a time and the second keg always taste better than the first. Even when I used to bottle I had to wait a full eight weeks to get a really tasty beer. 5-6 weeks at room temp and 2 weeks in the fridge. Big beers take even longer. My Piraat clone is finally starting to taste great instead of ok and that was 6 weeks primary and 6 weeks conditioning. I sure wish I could leave it alone to see what it would taste like in another 3 months. :)

Latest posts

Back