Bottling Sugar Dispenser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNJC

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Do any of you know of a product for quickly dispensing the correct amount of sugar into the bottles when bottling. I usually bottle into the 350ml bottles so for each brew I have 60+ bottles. Last time I was bottling I was thinking that if there was some sort of gun type apparatus for putting the sugar into the bottles it would be a bit quicker than the spoon. I had a look on the net but can't find anything.

Thanks,
JC

I've heard of a dry chemical dispenser that can be used in cooking, but I don't know if it would work for dispensing into bottles.
Why not just add your priming sugar to the bottling bucket before bottling? I don't know an easier method than that.... well, besides kegging. :D

Figure out how much sugar you need according to style and volume using this bottle priming calculator.

Then add the calculated amount of sugar to a cup and a half of water, boil gently for 5 minutes, cool the mixture down in a sink of water enough so it won't damage your bottling bucket. Somewhere below 180F. Pour it in your sanitized bottling bucket, rack the beer on top, mix with sanitized spoon, then bottle.

As mttewes said, this is easier than adding sugar to each bottle.

If you are bottling from your fermenter, you can make a sugar solution and use an eyedropper to measure.

If you are bottling from your fermenter, you can make a sugar solution and use an eyedropper to measure.

Racking on top of the mixture in a separate bucket would provide you with much more even distribution of the sugar and more consistent carbonation. Not to mention give you cleaner beer. I usually rack onto the sugar water solution with the tubing in the bottom of the bucket (You don't want any splashing) curled around the bottom. This creates a whirlpool that adequately mixes the wort and sugar. I don't bother with stirring. Then set this on the counter covered with saran wrap while I prep bottles and caps. This gives any remaining trub/settlement 15-20 minutes to settle back out before racking to bottles. This was at least the process up till my last batch. That one , and all future ones, go into my kegs :ban:

Can't recommend priming individual bottles. It's just asking for disaster. Just an extra drop of solution (using the eye dropper method) in a bottle that is supposed to get 4 drops is going to be seriously over carbonated.
Make the solution, and add it to the bottling bucket, rack and stir gently. You will get better (Safer) results that way.

Thanks for the replies. I sort of stayed away from transferring to a bottling container because I figured that it would just introduce another risk of infection.

I do have two fermenters and more often than not I only have one on the go at any given time, so I'll put the sugar solution into the second one and rack the beer into it..

Thanks again,
JC

I used to use one of these. They work pretty good for measuring out for bottles. I used cane sugar too. Never had infections or gushers from this.

69-LRG.jpg

Cost is $1.50

Welcome to MR.BEER® - Sugar Measure

You can also use prime tabs or Cooper Carb Drops

coopers-co2-drops.jpg

Bulk priming is the best method though....

Williams Brewing has something kinda like the above picture, but its white and has 3 'scoops' on it. one for each 'common' size of bottle... i think its 12 oz, 16 oz and 22oz.

but of course it really depends on your desired CO2 volumes per the style.

Back