sierra nevada clone question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheephrdr

Reaction score
Hi I have never tried sierra nevada pale ale because I cant get it in canada Where I am. However the clone recipe on BYO sounds like its a good beer, id like to make it but I was wondering if the hops additions were correct?
in promash im getting 73 IBU's. is that how hoppy this beer is?

• 1.5 oz. Perle hops (8.2% alpha acid) for 60 min.
• 2.5 oz. Cascade hops (5.4% alpha acid): 1 oz. for 15 min., 1 oz. for 5 min., 0.5
oz. pellets (dry hopping).

any help would be great, thanks

sheephrdr said:
Hi I have never tried sierra nevada pale ale because I cant get it in canada Where I am. However the clone recipe on BYO sounds like its a good beer, id like to make it but I was wondering if the hops additions were correct?

• 2.5 oz. Cascade hops (5.4% alpha acid): 1 oz. for 15 min., 1 oz. for 5 min., 0.5

According to their website, the beer has 37 IBUs, though it tastes to me as if it has less.

Bittering hops are Perle and Magnum. I did one with only Perle and it turned out bad. The bitterness was way to harsh and lingering. So far I blame this on the Perle hops.

Kai

Kaiser said:
The bitterness was way to harsh and lingering. So far I blame this on the Perle hops.

Kai

YEP. Perle = harsh.

I get those numbers too. The only thing I can figure is that those amounts are for a partial boil? Hopefully the extract experts can chime in here and explain that. I think you use more hops in a partial boil. Something to do with utilization.

Dude said:
YEP. Perle = harsh.

I get those numbers too. The only thing I can figure is that those amounts are for a partial boil? Hopefully the extract experts can chime in here and explain that. I think you use more hops in a partial boil. Something to do with utilization.

Keep the amounts of flavoring and aroma hops and adjust your bittering hops to get to 37 IBU. You can also search for SNPA here and you should find some better clone recipes.

Kai

Dude said:
LOL...I heard Bjorn Borg has a good one he can share..... ;) :p :D

10 lbs. strychnine
1 oz. arsenic (10 seconds on tongue)
3 gallons acid rain water (mash)
1 chinese chicken died of bird flu torn in twain (dry hop)

1 ppb Iranian plutonium/h20 (to sanitize everything)

boil everything in ancient roman lead-lined vessel

Bjorn Borg said:
10 lbs. strychnine

No, that's the recipe for Bud!

sheephrdr said:

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has 37 IBU's, and does NOT dry hop.

Another brewer actually worked with one of the SN Brewmasters to formulate a 6 gallon all grain homebrew recipe. This is the recipe:

11.90 lbs. American 2-row
1.70 lbs. American Caramel 60°L
.4 oz. Yakima Magnum 60 min.
.5 oz. Perle @ 30 min.
1 oz. Cascade @ 10 min.
2 oz. Cascade @ Flameout
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Type: Single Step 153 for 60 minutes.
Mash-out 168 Timefor 15 minutes

I scaled this one down for 5 gallons, and also substituted Galena for Perle, and hit it dead on. This is one of my favorite recipes to brew.

Bjorn Borg said:
10 lbs. strychnine

i made this exact recipe once, but i used an aluminum pot instead of the ancient roman lead-lined vessel... came out terrible, i feel terrible, and i have awful memory problems now... i think it was the aluminum.

Lou said:
i made this exact recipe once, but i used an aluminum pot instead of the ancient roman lead-lined vessel... came out terrible, i feel terrible, and i have awful memory problems now... i think it was the aluminum.

semper fi ale? :D

Tony said:
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has 37 IBU's, and does NOT dry hop.

Another brewer actually worked with one of the SN Brewmasters to formulate a 6 gallon all grain homebrew recipe. This is the recipe:

.5 oz. Perle @ 30 min.
1 oz. Cascade @ 10 min.
2 oz. Cascade @ Flameout

Mash Type: Single Step 153 for 60 minutes.
Mash-out 168 Timefor 15 minutes

I scaled this one down for 5 gallons, and also substituted Galena for Perle, and hit it dead on. This is one of my favorite recipes to brew.

I made this recipe as extract and it is kick ass. The hops particularly are right on, that 2 oz of cascade aroma in the kettle really makes SNPA what it is. Don't dry hop!

PFlint said:
I made this recipe as extract and it is kick ass. The hops particularly are right on, that 2 oz of cascade aroma in the kettle really makes SNPA what it is. Don't dry hop!

How did you make it extract?

If you make a clone of a beer you have never had, how do you know if the recipe is any good?:D I just had to get my weekly clone-jab fix.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
How did you make it extract?
My recipe was:
5.5 lbs Extra Light DME
1 lbs Crystal 60L
.5 oz Magnum 60min
.5 oz Perle 30 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
2 oz Cascade 0 min
And of coarse the Chico ale strain (Wyeast 1056 or WLP001 or US-56)

PFlint said:
My recipe was:
5.5 lbs Extra Light DME
1 lbs Crystal 60L
.5 oz Magnum 60min
.5 oz Perle 30 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
2 oz Cascade 0 min
And of coarse the Chico ale strain (Wyeast 1056 or WLP001 or US-56)
Thanks, man. I'm going to try that one.

sheephrdr said:
Hi I have never tried sierra nevada pale ale because I cant get it in canada Where I am.

Don't know where you are in Canada, but if you can get St. Ambroise Pale Ale, it's close to SNPA.

Mikey said:
Don't know where you are in Canada, but if you can get St. Ambroise Pale Ale, it's close to SNPA.

Ya I think I can Get St Ambroise, I will deffinately try it. Thanks for all the help btw from everyone.

Tony said:

So this is a reliable source?

.5 oz. Perle @ 30 min.
1 oz. Cascade @ 10 min.
2 oz. Cascade @ Flameout

I will have to give this one a try. It definitely looks more realistic than the one I made (only Perle and Cascade and dry-hopping). But 1.7lb of 60L Caramel? Shouldn't that be a bit dark.

The last pale Ale that I made used 1/2 lbs of each 10 and 40L Caramel and the color is very comparable to SNPA.

Kai

Kaiser said:
So this is a reliable source?

I will have to give this one a try. It definitely looks more realistic than the one I made (only Perle and Cascade and dry-hopping). But 1.7lb of 60L Caramel? Shouldn't that be a bit dark.

The last pale Ale that I made used 1/2 lbs of each 10 and 40L Caramel and the color is very comparable to SNPA.

Kai

Yup, directly from a brewmaster at SN. I know what you mean about the crystal though, but remember its for 6 gallons, not 5, so you can scale it back. But, it still may not get to the normal amber color of SNPA. Im sure they filter it at the brewery, so maybe that lightens it.

My first SNPA clone came out looking like Celebration Ale instead. My last one tasted dead on, and was almost the right color.

鯰  said:
SN Pale Ale has a different recipe for draft and bottle, for what it's worth.

Any sources on that?

Not that I doubt your statement, but I find this very interesting that a brewery would use a different recipe for bottle and draft.

Kai

Kaiser said:
Any sources on that?

Not that I doubt your statement, but I find this very interesting that a brewery would use a different recipe for bottle and draft.

Kai

It is true. Somebody worthwhile (Some brewer guest) just said it on the Brewing Network show the other night. I'm not sure of the reason why but they say the draft version tastes better.

I've also heard they oak age celebration ale and serve it only at the SN brew pub. :rockin:

Dude said:
It is true. Somebody worthwhile (Some brewer guest) just said it on the Brewing Network show the other night. I'm not sure of the reason why but they say the draft version tastes better.

I've also heard they oak age celebration ale and serve it only at the SN brew pub. :rockin:

It does seem to taste better on draft! But I also think sodas taste better from the fountain when set up correctly.

Back