Jolly Pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Dub

Reaction score
I was up in Portland, OR 6 weeks ago and came across some Jolly P. Wow! Not really one for the old band wagon, but the sour brews are bringing me around.

Any one else like the stuff?

Sour or Pumpkin. I love both. Pumpkin, go with an Ellicotville Brewing Co. Pumpking. That is if you can get it out that way. By far the best pumpkin seasonal I have ever had!!!

I was up in Portland, OR 6 weeks ago and came across some Jolly P. Wow! Not really one for the old band wagon, but the sour brews are bringing me around.

Any one else like the stuff?

I'm a big fan of Jolly Pumpkin's beers. I first tasted them at the Raleigh World Beer Festival and fell in love. I talked my local wine/artisan beer shop into carrying the La Roja Flanders red, which is a real treat. The Oro de Calabaza is wonderful as well.

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales.

Chad

I've had 8 of the JP beers and they have all been totally fantastic. I think the La Roja is still my favorite, but I wouldn't pass on any of them if I found them around. They are getting a little pricy, but they're so worth it.

My local liquor store just got some Jolly Pumpkin this week. I bought a bottle of the Oro De Calabaza, but I haven't opened it yet.

Jolly Pumpkin rules. I'm would be actually surprised that JP would sell well in Portland, OR, or that Oregonians would like the style of beers that JP bestows on us.

Jolly Pumpkin rules. I'm would be actually surprised that JP would sell well in Portland, OR, or that Oregonians would like the style of beers that JP bestows on us.

Yes, because Oregon is entirely peopled by aliens whose tastebuds are not well suited to our Earth beer.

My local wine/liquor/beer emporium (Total Wine) carries La Roja. I need to talk to whoever does the purchasing and see if they can get some other JP offerings.

I'm going to take offense to that. You realize we are one of the biggest craft brew states in the county right?

There's a general lack of craft lagers. They're just not as popular as ales in the craft scene.

PA (and some other east coast areas) is pretty well chocked for bear on the lager side of the board with most of the major craft brewers...Stoudts, Troegs, Penn Brewing, Victory, Sly Fox all feature some solid lager brews.

Thread-hijack.jpg

Anyway on the JP topic, has anyone had the beers that Ron Jefferies is doing for that barrel aged only brewery that's also in Michigan?

I haven't seen any of those hit out here at all. We've been in a JP slump out here for a bit too, and they came back way more pricy, but they're still worth it.

I haven't seen any of those hit out here at all. We've been in a JP slump out here for a bit too, and they came back way more pricy, but they're still worth it.

That's an interesting point...JP and another brand's prices went up substantially (seemingly more than everyone else) recently. Of the two, I really haven't bought the other brand's beer since but I still see JP's funk as worth it too.

Anyway on the JP topic, has anyone had the beers that Ron Jefferies is doing for that barrel aged only brewery that's also in Michigan?

I'm confused...? or maybe drunk? I think you might be talking about jolly pumpkin. :confused: Anyways Bam and Bam Noir are incredible. Haven't ducked up the dollars for too many other of their brews yet, but they're very easy to find around here....

I'm confused...? or maybe drunk? I think you might be talking about jolly pumpkin. :confused: Anyways Bam and Bam Noir are incredible. Haven't ducked up the dollars for too many other of their brews yet, but they're very easy to find around here....

There is a second brewery that is doing only barrel aged beers, limited distribution that Ron J of Jolly Pumpkin is brewing for/consulting...someone from the brewery posted here 1 time....found it:

Leelanau Brewing Company - Each of our beers is a work of art. - Beer for wine glasses.

I've had one of Leelanau Brewing's beers , but at that point (maybe still--the website still says it, but it doesn't look like they update very often) their beer was all being contract brewed at Jolly Pumpkin. Contract brewing is a good way to start getting cash flowing in the correct direction, but for sour beers in particular I feel that using the same brewing and aging location makes it hard to differentiate your beers from your partner's.

After tasting La Roja and Oro De Calabeza at a local homebrew event I am completely hooked. I think I will try to brew a sour or two but cannot believe that they will compare.

Neat looking little brewery...kinda reminds me of:

Seen Through a Glass: The One Guy Visit

they were at the michigan beer fest but i didn't get to them

i tried JP's kriek there and just couldn't get past the dirty cheese smell to enjoy the decent taste.

Sour or Pumpkin. I love both. Pumpkin, go with an Ellicotville Brewing Co. Pumpking. That is if you can get it out that way. By far the best pumpkin seasonal I have ever had!!!

You are confused. Jolly Pumpkin or, Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales, is a craft brewery in Michigan. They age all of their beer's in wooden wine barrels. This gives them a natural/organic "funk". As far as I know, they do not make a "pumpkin beer" per-say. Common misconception.

twas Christmas night, and i'm holding probably the only bottle of a Jolly Pumpkin Saison within thousands of miles...literally..

pop the top and it's a a gusher, all...over...my counter, this was my face -> :(

once the lava flow subsided i enjoyed it every last drop, as it tasted delish and worth the wait..

Back