My Memorial Day Weekend Keg Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnio

Reaction score
keg_cooler-1.jpg

What good is traveling to the family if you can't bring a 5 gal keg of Apfelwein?

Cooler is on sale this week, about $20 at Target...I think it will be a perfect fit, by the time the top portion of brew gets drunk it will have had plenty of time on ice.

That's awsome! By the looks of it you got beer on wheels... Better not get caught driving that thing, might get a DUI. hehe

Yeah, gotta keep the picnic tap off when in the car :)

Looks good. Make sure you tell folks hands off the CO2 or some drunk will go" Hey, Watch this!" and with one Pfssst, the cartridge is spent.

Here's an idea to insulate the upper exposed part. Get some neoprene mouse pads and cut them to fit the exposed part and use duct tape to take care of the seams.

Basically you are creating at big koozie without a bottom for the top part of your keg. It will help keep it cold during transport.

The other good thing is the dip tube is in the bottom where the cold beer is.

Just wanted to bump and thank Jonnio for the idea. I put together the exact same setup and it worked great.

Cooler: $25
Insulation Board (way more than I needed for the lid): $7
Keg charger + 6 cartridges (we only used a little over one to serve a whole keg): $25

DCP_3430.jpg

BTW: The lid for this cooler (60qt. Igloo) snaps on and off so you can use the cooler normally as well.

Glad you got some use out of this shamrock. Ed, I have no clue why I never got notified of your response, or any after it for that matter... Anyway, I like your idea about the giant Koozie, but I have found that it wasn't necessary with small groups. The beer spends enough time in the ice at the bottom of the cooler to be plenty cold.

I do think it would help the ice last a little longer, since the keg was still pretty cold at the top due to the thermal transfer, but I didn't use but a couple bags over a 4 day weekend.

This item looks amazing! I really like how to you can use it for its intended purpose, and you can keep things cold in it, haha!

Back