Which Red Star yeast to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manny101

Reaction score
I brewed a clone of Old Rasputin known as Rootin' Tootin' and the recipe calls for Red Star Dry Champagne yeast at bottling time. I am not sure which yeast to get. Red Star has two yeasts that could be considered champagne yeast. One is called Pasteur Champagne yeast used for white wines and the other is called Premier Cuvee used for reds, whites, and especially champagne. Does anybody know which yeast this recipe is referring to? As always thanks for your help.

The Cuvee
emphasis added
Good tolerance to alcohol and SO2. Ferments to dryness. Low producer of foam. Recommended for reds, whites, and especially for champagne. Most neutral, clean flavor offered by Red Star

some yeasts called "champagne yeasts" were isolated from the "champagne" region in France and aren't necessarily intended for champagne the beverage. I would go with the Premier Cuvee that lists the champagne style in the description.

In a quick search, I found this description of Pasteur Champagne http://homebrewheaven.com/pasteur-champagne-yeast-red-star.htm
that says that it's rarely used for sparking wine...so probably not a good choice.

Go for Premier Cuvee!

Back