Bell's 2 hearted extract clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggabrew

juggabrew
Reaction score
Im looking for the best bell's 2 hearted extract clone. Ive found some on hopville but not sure if any of these are any good. Im a perfectionist so im looking for the best of the best. So if anyone has any info/recipe please help

I prefer not to order from websites since the shipping cost is 30% of the kit price(i.e.: dead ringer). Would like to pick out my own ingredients from my LHBS(thebrewmentor)

At the moment I'm only equipped to handle 2.5-3 gal boils

:mug:

Take a look at northern brewers dead ringer. It used to be called three hearted ale. Lots of great reviews and I'm trying it myself this weekend. It'll actually be my first all grain.

i have done the Adventures in Homebrewing 2 Hearted clone extract recipe and i really liked it. Not sure if it is the "best of the best" since i have not tried any other clones. also will add i didn't do a side by side taste test with it.

Im looking for the best bell's 2 hearted extract clone. Ive found some on hopville but not sure if any of these are any good. Im a perfectionist so im looking for the best of the best. So if anyone has any info/recipe please help

I prefer not to order from websites since the shipping cost is 30% of the kit price(i.e.: dead ringer). Would like to pick out my own ingredients from my LHBS(thebrewmentor)

At the moment I'm only equipped to handle 2.5-3 gal boils

:mug:

Northern Brewer lists their ingredients on the instruction page. You can take their list and buy everything at your LHBS.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/DeadRingerIPA.pdf

EDIT: I have brewed this kit before and it is very good. I can't comment on how close it was to Bell's 2-hearted IPA though, since I have only had that beer once in my life.

psrankin said:
Northern Brewer lists their ingredients on the instruction page. You can take their list and buy everything at your LHBS.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/DeadRingerIPA.pdf

EDIT: I have brewed this kit before and it is very good. I can't comment on how close it was to Bell's 2-hearted IPA though, since I have only had that beer once in my life.

Thanks for the help. I didn't know I could get the instructions from their website. I'll check it out

My LHBS has a partial mash recipe that is a clone, but has more of a hop profile (it's made with only cascade hops as Bell's is). It's so good, that I'm almost out 3 weeks after cracking open the first bottle. It came in at 7.0% and looks great! If you want the recipe I could post it on there, as well as a picture of the finished product when I get home from the office today.

My LHBS has a partial mash recipe that is a clone, but has more of a hop profile (it's made with only cascade hops as Bell's is). It's so good, that I'm almost out 3 weeks after cracking open the first bottle. It came in at 7.0% and looks great! If you want the recipe I could post it on there, as well as a picture of the finished product when I get home from the office today.

Bell's uses only centennial hops, not cascade. Straight from their website:

"Bell's Two Hearted Ale is defined by its intense hop aroma and malt balance. Hopped exclusively with the Centennial hop varietal from the Pacific Northwest, massive additions in the kettle and again in the fermenter lend their characteristic grapefruit and pine resin aromas"

Bell's uses only centennial hops, not cascade. Straight from their website:

Sorry, you're right. I don't have the recipe in front of me, and since it was 3 brews ago, and I knew it was a "C" hop...I guess I should have waited until I had my coffee, or had the recipe in front of me.

At the bottom of the recipe title it does read "A Centennial Experience".

I've brewed the Dead ringer from the list of ingredients on the NB web page a couple of times and like the recipe very much.

That Dead Ringer recipe will get you pretty close. I would suggest swapping out the 1056 yeast for 1272: American Ale II. That has a much closer profile to the Bell's yeast, which in my opinion makes the difference in this beer.

I've brewed the Dead ringer from the list of ingredients on the NB web page a couple of times and like the recipe very much.

I did a price check with the ingredients at my local brew shop. The kit from NB is $44 plus $12 shipping, pulling the ingredients on my own came out to ~$54.

iluv2brew, How does this compare to your cost?

That Dead Ringer recipe will get you pretty close. I would suggest swapping out the 1056 yeast for 1272: American Ale II. That has a much closer profile to the Bell's yeast, which in my opinion makes the difference in this beer.

Cool, ill make note of this

How does the AHS Kalamazoo IPA compare to bells 2 hearted? as apposed to dead ringer from NB

Here's the recipe from my LHBS:

image.jpg

My neighbor brewed dead ringer and i helped drink enough to know that it was very close. Me and a couple of childhood friends have been saying two hearted is "the crack of all beers"for years

Back