First Hefeweizen Fermenting!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filmman03

Reaction score
Bottled my Tiger Tank Altbier on Monday and got a chance to brew my Hefeweizen from NB.

Everything went flawless (just was a bit late to work lol) and i remembered to take an SG reading this time :) SG is 1.040 Can't wait to taste this batch!

My last brew was a Hefe. Im naming it "He aint Hefe, Hes my Brother". I cant wait to try it as well!

question for the brewmasters.... i know the traditional way of drinking it is to pour the beer in a glass or stein ;) then swirl the yeast and pour it on the beer. so when bottling the hefeweizen is it recommended to bottle some of the yeast as well? or is there enough in the beer w/ the addition of the priming sugar the yeast will eventually settle to the bottom of the bottle?

still curious about the yeast being siphoned into bottle question.....

o and btw the hefe looks freakin amazing. not only does it totally look like hefe but it smells like hefe. I CANNOT WAIT TIL THIS BATCH IS DONE!!!

The hefe I bottled had a lot of yeast at the bottom of my bottles. I may have screwed up because I had 2 weeks in secondary and it was starting to clear. By comparison I had more yeast that what I have seen in a blue moon or widmer brothers

The hefe I bottled had a lot of yeast at the bottom of my bottles. I may have screwed up because I had 2 weeks in secondary and it was starting to clear. By comparison I had more yeast that what I have seen in a blue moon or widmer brothers

how much would you say you had? i know w/ like Hofbrau or Franziskaner or Weihenstephaner it seems like its about a quarter of an inch or so of yeast at the bottom.

I'd think there would be plenty of yeast in suspension that a simple swirl of the bottle should be plenty.

that's what i was hoping would be the answer lol i just wasn't positive. so just a normal siphon to bottling bucket and racking. thanks.

Back