3 Dog APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzy1038

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Notty
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
19 @ 63
Additional Fermentation
Cold Crash 3 days near freezing. 34F
Tasting Notes
Great simcoe \"catiness\" Nice bodied, smooth bitterness, for me a sessionable beer.
This is essentially EdWort's Haus Pale Ale with a different hop schedule and ferment temp. (and named for our 3 doxies)

Grain Bill:
8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.

Dough-in with 4 gallons of water to reach a mash temp of 152F. After 60 minutes. Have another 4 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the sparge. You should then get 6.5-7 gallons to your kettle for the boil. Boil for 60 minutes.

This was done with late addition hops "AKA" hop bursting.

Hop Schedule:

boil 15 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 7.0
boil 15 mins 0.5 Citra pellet 13.4
boil 5 mins 0.25 Cascade pellet 5.4
boil 5 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 7.0
boil 5 mins 0.6 Citra pellet 13.4
dry hop 5 days 0.5 Cascade leaf 5.5
dry hop 5 days 0.5 Citra leaf 13.7
dry hop 5 days 1.0 Simcoe leaf 13.0

1 Whirfloc Tab was added at 15 minutes.

I used 4 gallons of RO water and 4 gallons of tap water with a little K-meta added to get rid of chloramines.

1Tbsp of 5.2 was dissolved in a little water then added to MLT before strike water is poured in. Strike water is poured when it reaches the proper temp.
Then dough in and mash for 60 mins, monitoring and adjusting temp to stay on or very close to 152F. Then batch sparge. Making sure to vorlauf on both runnings before transferring to kettle.

Chill to 68. Check OG. Transfer to fermentation vessel and aerate. Pitch yeast and ferment in the low 60's for 14 days. Ensure fermentation is done. Dry hop and let sit for another 5 days. Cold crash at 34 degrees or near freezing for 3 days then keg.

I am a big believer in the late hopping to achieve IBUs and flavor, plus aroma profiles. This is the smoothest bitterness beer I have made to date. I would consider it the perfect bitterness profile to me. All I gotta say is "hop burps". Yum!

My next go around I might make the caramel amber ale recipe with this hop schedule. Should be awesome! :mug:

boil 15 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 7.0
boil 15 mins 0.5 Citra pellet 13.4
boil 5 mins 0.25 Cascade pellet 5.4
boil 5 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 7.0
boil 5 mins 0.6 Citra pellet 13.4
dry hop 5 days 0.5 Cascade leaf 5.5
dry hop 5 days 0.5 Citra leaf 13.7
dry hop 5 days 1.0 Simcoe leaf 13.0

I imagine it is not very bitter, mostly a fresh hop aroma and flavor.

I am going to try this, I have a decent hop stash, and regardless how I hop/dryhop I haven't been able to get the smooth and flavorful hoppieness I'm looking for. I will report back.

Latest posts

Back