Yet another propane plumbing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunkRod

Reaction score
Hey gang,
First, yes I have read post after post for hours on end as I work to build my own HERMS on a weldless stand as depicted in this forum. I am not ready to commit the $$ for the automated gas control, so I have gone with high pressure burners (mainly because I had two of them on hand from two turkey fryer rigs, the cast iron-not banjo style). Unfortunately the hoses and regulators from those old turkey fryers have issues, so I need to build something else for the HERMS. I had in mind having a control knob easily assessable on my control panel with the hoses coming from it. However, aside from my broken turkey fryer regs, all the regulators I've seen at lowes and online do not have a valve to adjust the burner output. So I went to Agri-direct and found item #64484, High Pressure adjustable regulator LPG. I had assumed at the time of ordering that this would do the trick. Perhaps confusing adjustable pressure for adjustable volume...Be that as it may, I now have this 0-30psi adjustable regulator and on the package it quite clearly states "DO NOT USE ON GAS GRILLS", "DO NOT USE ON TURKEY FRYERS". which has me a bit confused. First, have I gotten the wrong part? Why or why not? Again, the goal is to have a single knob I can use to adjust flame height on my HLT and BK burners.
Thanks.

That regulator will work fine, but you need to make sure that you keep the orifice for the burners. There should be a small brass fitting at the end of the old hoses, that's the orifice. Something else to think about putting on would be a shutoff valve on each burner, so you can use one at a time. The drawback is going to be not being able to adjust the flame individually on the burners. You might get some adjustability on the burners if you use needle valves.

Back