Aging beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
When aging vintage beers, is it better to store them upright, or on their sides? This is with normal cap bottles, not cork and cage.
Does it make a difference like it does with wines?

i don't think it matters except that your yeast will be swirling around with every pour unless you let it settle upright for a while. other than that it makes no difference.

You don't need to keep them on their side. In fact, the cap may rust over time if the beer is left in contact with it.

The reason for this, with wine bottles, is the cork will dry out if the bottle is stored vertically. A dry cork won't do the job it's supposed to do.

vertical definitely. Your surface to air ratio in the neck of a bottle is much smaller than when it's laying on it's side. +1 to the corked bottles drying out if stored vertical. It will turn wine into vinegar very quickly if stored vertically.

Does anyone know any recipes using a combo of grain for steeping and malt extract to make a beer that is ideal for aging for years? I was thinking along the lines of barley wine or a braggot recipe I have with an ABV of 12%. Also looking for anyone who has alot of know how in how to age beer long term.

Back