Mash Thermometer for Cooler - What you got?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I have been using a digital thermometer with probe in my cooler/mashtun for the last year, but I hate taking the lid off to measure and it's just not fast enough for me. Also, the probe is not long enough to get in deep enough. i bought a thermothingy from zyco but hated how I kept hitting it when I stirred in grains to mash.

What does everyone use?

I think the probe is still too short and the sending unit would be bummed being in the moisture of the mashtun.But you got me thinking.....maybe a long, digital, instant thermometer......anyone else?

I don't really think it's practical to put a static probe into a mashtun and trust it all the way through the mash. The only accurate way to measure a still mash is to open it up and sort of mix the mash with the probe to get an average temp reading.

Yes, used a digital with a probe long enough to sit the digital readout on the counter next to the rectangular cooler mash tun. over the holidays installed a mechanical one with a 6 inch probe and cooler bulkhead kit from Bargainfittings. used it once so far. I like the idea of having it built into the cooler.

Back