Smell, or lack thereof

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstohs

Reaction score
I started some cider about 48 hours ago. I've spent many of those hours on this forum learning and googling terminology. Many people have been reporting crazy smells or rhino farts within the first day. I've got crazy activity with the airlock, at least every 3 seconds, and the odor from the lock is fantastic, smells like apple juice mixed with a pale ale. I'm sure this is one of those varying answer questions, but should there be a smell?

I too, like everyone else beginning didn't do a gravity reading; or in my case was clueless of what a hydrometer even was until this forum (hmmm...you would think the LHBS would be more than happy to sell a clueless person a bunch of stuff....) though I'll be definitely picking one up.

I'm still shocked at how 'simple' the whole brewing process was. I feel like I surely must be missing something....

Juice, Sugar, Yeast. if that's it, why isn't everybody doing this????

Sounds fine. Mine usually don't have much of a smell other than fresh apple juice - part of the reason why I love it. In my personal experience I have only found my cider to smell like rhino farts if I have included some brown sugar to bump up the ABV, I have no idea why though.

*Update*

Well, it's smelling now, like a sour apple.

Ironic that Apple Juice might smell like an apple, but it still has me curious.

Is this normal or to be expected?? I have 1lb of sugar per gallon of cider.

Thank You!

+1 on getting a hydrometer. Also, I believe this situation calls for the RDWHAHB method. Just take it easy, there's not much you can do except be patient. Have a taste of your hydrometer sample, that should point you in the right direction.

tomorrow a trip to the LHBS to purchase a hydrometer, secondary bucket, and whatever else i can find...

Back