Aw crud...infected batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Many folks here know I got food poisoning...possibly from giving the trub a little taste in the bottom of the fermenter from this batch. This is transfered beer currently aging in my carboy. There are little things floating on the top...I hope like hell they aren't bacterial cultures...but I'm not sure what else they could be? Also, the bubbler is still bubbling occassionally on this brew...almost 3 weeks after fermentation started.

Does this look like an infected batch (sorry for not so great image quality):

40757_764538297518_55710621_41440260_8370914_n.jpg

149597_764538202708_55710621_41440259_8296720_n.jpg

From what I can make out from those images it seems fine. If you can see any long strands forming then from everything I've read, toss it out. You can also toss it out if it tastes like burnt rubber, again from what I've read as I've never had an infection myself.

Alright guys, I got this one.

The ONLY reason you should toss a batch is if you TASTE the finished product and it is UNDRINKABLE. Infected or not, the only reason to toss a batch is if it is undrinkable. Infected may or may not change the properties of the beer and sometimes you can "rack under" by sucking all the beer out from below the surface infection and transferring to another fermenter.

I have the same looking little things in my first brew. I believe they are just yeast. I've been watching them over the past few days and they haven't grown into something that would look like a bacterial colony.

Are you saying people got food poisoning from your beer? Are you talking about they just got some farts or were they really sick?

Good advice guys, because I'm really excited about this irish stout...i thought i might be over reacting a bit :)

Back