Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy2009

Reaction score
I just tasted my first batch of brew this week :mug: and have some questions.
I read that you should leave the wort to ferment a week but other places I read say to ferment the wort longer.
I made a batch from a kit and it said to let it go a week and then check to see that the SG is stable for a couple days before bottling. So that is what I did.
My question: Is it better to let it sit in the fermenter more like 2 weeks? Does that improve the beer. I know that after a while, say 3 weeks or so, that the yeast will break down which will affect the beer.
Also, it said that 2 weeks after bottling it should be ready to drink. I tasted it and it seems pretty good but seemed a bit sweet. Will that change if I leave it bottled for another week or two. I was expecting more of a bitter taste.

I think the general consensus will be the longer the better. Lower gravity beers generally dont need as much time as higher gravity ones, and that is usually how I plan my fermentation schedules. On average, I usually go three weeks.

The SG was 1.011 and the OG was 1.050. Does the SG usually go lower than that after longer fermentation. Also is that why the beer has a sweeter taste than expected (only fermenting for a week). It is an American Cream Ale kit from Brewers Best.

I know that after a while, say 3 weeks or so, that the yeast will break down which will affect the beer.

actually thats been largely disproved. darker beers are better than lighter beers at hiding autolysis but really its not as big of a problem as some people make it out to be.

after and during primary fermentation the yeast do whats called secondary fermentation. during secondary fermentation the yeast are cleaning up after themselves. the more yeast that is in the fermenter during this process the better. the longer you let the beer sit on the yeast the more time the yeast have to clean up off flavors. but there will be a point where the beer isn't going to get any better.

The SG was 1.011 and the OG was 1.050. Does the SG usually go lower than that after longer fermentation. Also is that why the beer has a sweeter taste than expected (only fermenting for a week). It is an American Cream Ale kit from Brewers Best.

It depends on many many factors, not least of which is fermentation temperature.

You will want to check to see that your SG is stable. I usually do this by checking twice over a three day span. If my reading is the same, I'm pretty confident it's finished.

None-the-less, Im trying to leave my beers in the primary for three weeks at least unless I want to add fruit, etc. Then I'll rack to a secondary.

by the way, what did your recipe say you should receive for a FG?

actually thats been largely disproved. darker beers are better than lighter beers at hiding autolysis but really its not as big of a problem as some people make it out to be.

after and during primary fermentation the yeast do whats called secondary fermentation. during secondary fermentation the yeast are cleaning up after themselves. the more yeast that is in the fermenter during this process the better. the longer you let the beer sit on the yeast the more time the yeast have to clean up off flavors. but there will be a point where the beer isn't going to get any better.

+1 To this!!!

Autolysis is not something you need to be concerned with. It takes a very very long time for it to take place. Read about it on these forums. Many brewers leave there beers on the yeast cake for a month of more and some for A LOT longer without ANY negative effect from it.

I I know that after a while, say 3 weeks or so, that the yeast will break down which will affect the beer.

You don't really "know" that, you've just heard some old wive's tale about it. Big difference. ;)

People have successfully had their beer in primary for upwards of 6 months with no issues....

You will find that many of us leave our beers in primary for 3-4 weeks (or more) and only secondary if we are adding fruit or oak, or to dry hop (though many of us dry hop in primary now as well)....and we have found our beer vastly improved by letting the beer stay in contact with the yeast.

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness in the last few years where many of us believe that yeast is a good thing, and besides just fermenting the beer, that they are fastidious creatures who go back and clean up any by products created by themselves during fermentation, which may lead to off flavors.

Rather than the yeast being the cause of off flavors, it is now looked at by many of us, that they will if left alone actually remove those off flavors, and make for clearer and cleaner tasting beers.

Even John Palmer talks about this in How To Bew;

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

John Palmer

As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

People have left it as much as six months. Autolysis is a myth for homebrewers.

Even when Palmer is talking about it, he's talking about it in terms of LAGERS not ales. Most people get so freaked out about in reading Palmer, that they don't notice it is in the Lager chapter, nor do they notice the caveat at the end of the section that I posted above.

I still believe that POSSIBLY autolysis WAS a concern to homebrewers 20-30 years ago, when the yeast came in dry cakes, of dubious heritage and came across from where homebrewing was legalized in the hot cargo holds of ships and may have sat for months in terrible conditioned...In other words was unhealthy to begin with.

And therefore may have crapped out and made for nastiness, (and also was prone to stick fermentation as well.) and tales of it just continued to perpetuate over time, even though yeasts are much more healthy and fresh, and more is understood about them nowaday....people gravitate to the negative and fear and still perpetuate those worries...over and over and over....

And I still maintain that as much as I like Palmer, he contributed to the hysteria.....I mean noone but me seems to notice that that section on the scary autolysis appears in the chapter on lagering. He is not talking about it with ales...or beers in general..just lagers..because flaws are more perceptable in lagers...since in essence most commercial lagers are tasteless...anything would stand out..

and I think most new brewers have crapped themselves at the mere thought long before the notice the closer to the section I mentioned earlier.

This is where the most up to date brewing wisdom and ideas can be found...In fact a lot of stuff has been started on here, and made it into byo or zymurgy or podcasts...in fact BYO DID a piece on no secondary/long primary, along with the BASIC BREWING PODCAST and even they said that there were no issues/harm with doing it and in some beers it did actually improve the flavor and clarity. And I believe that really WAS influenced by the discussion we have had for the last couple years on here.

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like letting it sit in the fermenter for a couple weeks might be better.
I am still wondering why it seemed to taste a little sweet. Could that be that the kit used corn sugar in the wort.

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like letting it sit in the fermenter for a couple weeks might be better.
I am still wondering why it seemed to taste a little sweet. Could that be that the kit used corn sugar in the wort.

Corn Sugar is almost entirely fermentable, so unless your beer was not done fermenting, the corn sugar would not add a sweet flavor. In fact, adding simple sugars to a beer usually just make it more dry, as they are converted almost entirely into alcohol and leave little flavor behind.

Chances are if it's tasting sweet, it's just not done yet. You really can't go by a week in the fermenter and think that's what it will taste like when it's done. A lot goes on even after the primary fermentation is done and the flavor profile will change quite a bit in the coming weeks. As long as your final gravity remains the same for a few days and you're within your target you should be good to bottle and then it's up to you to give it enough time to turn into great beer.

It is bottled and I let it condition for 2 weeks before trying one. Will the flavor still change if I let them sit for a while? I have been reading How To Brew by John Palmer and I think there were several things I didn't do right so I don't expect this first batch to be real great. I just bought another Brewers best kit, English Pale Ale, as it seemed close to the Cincinnati Pale Ale recipe in the book. I am going to incorporate some of the recomendations from the book into this batch and see if it comes out better.

It is bottled and I let it condition for 2 weeks before trying one. Will the flavor still change if I let them sit for a while?

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And even carbonation doesn't mean that they will not still be green and need more time to condition....

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

So why do several of the kits I look at only have you ferment for a week and not 2-3 weeks before bottling?

Because they're based on outdated old school brewing practice. You can pretty much disregard the instructions that come with any kits

Because they're based on outdated old school brewing practice. You can pretty much disregard the instructions that come with any kits

Well I did follow the brew instructions on the last 2 kits. I thought about waiting to add the LME on the last one but went ahead and added it when it said which was the beginning of the boil. I read that waiting is better so I don't know why I went ahead and added it when I did. Oh well, I hope to have some English Brown ale to enjoy soon but I am leaving it in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks (not 1 week like the instructions say).

Well I did follow the brew instructions on the last 2 kits. I thought about waiting to add the LME on the last one but went ahead and added it when it said which was the beginning of the boil. I read that waiting is better so I don't know why I went ahead and added it when I did. Oh well, I hope to have some English Brown ale to enjoy soon but I am leaving it in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks (not 1 week like the instructions say).

There was nothing wrong with adding the extract right away. Adding it late most just would help increase bitterness from the hops and isn't a benefit unless you want to do that.

I guess what I was trying to warn is that most kit instructions tell you to remove from primary prematurely due to outdated brewing knowledge. I got confused on my first couple batches because of this but this forum has been a great help and knowledge base

So why do several of the kits I look at only have you ferment for a week and not 2-3 weeks before bottling?

because they want to sell more kits. if they cut the fermentation time down they figure you will buy more kits. ignore the fermentation time based instructions.

for the brewing instructions follow them to the letter. the kits are made to be brewed that way. all the math has already been done with those steps in mind. if you changed when you add the extract in relation to when you add the hops the finished beer will have a different level of bitterness.

for instance if you add the hops after steeping but before adding the extract your boil gravity will be lower and you will get more bitterness out of the hops. if you add the hops after steeping and adding the extract the boil gravity will be higher and you wont get as much bitterness from the hops.

There was nothing wrong with adding the extract right away. Adding it late most just would help increase bitterness from the hops and isn't a benefit unless you want to do that.

thats not entirely true. yes it will affect the bitterness and it will also affect the darkness of the finished beer. the longer you boil the extract the more the mailard reactions will darken the brew. late extract addition lessens this affect.

So the English Brown ale I have fermenting and was planning on leaving in the primary for 2 weeks. Will that be long enough for a brown ale to fully ferment and condition?

So the English Brown ale I have fermenting and was planning on leaving in the primary for 2 weeks. Will that be long enough for a brown ale to fully ferment and condition?

typically that is the minimum amount of time needed to ferment a batch of beer. use your hydrometer that is the only real way to tell when fermentation is over.

And, even if fermentation is over, letting it sit to condition is a good thing. Two weeks is mediocre. Three is better. Four if you can stand it. This game is all about patience.

Back