stirplate pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbys_Brew

Reaction score
here are some shot of the stirplate.

front
IMG001252.jpg

Top- there are holes drilled in the top bc i was going to mount the fan to the lid
IMG001261.jpg

inside
IMG00127.jpg

spacer- idea of and recommended by Dan Jeska with Stir Starters
IMG00128.jpg

yeah i have about 50 cigar boxes stacked up and had seen a pic of a cigar box stirplate. so figured i'd make one.

Hahaha. That's great. I was also thinking of using a cigar box for the stirplate project too.

I couldn't find one so I wound up going with a business card holder.
CIMG1400.jpg

I used a cedar puck (used to keep moth away in closets) as the spacer. Hey, whatever does the job, I always say.
CIMG1405.jpg

I'm still keeping my eyes open for a nice cigar box since I have a few parts left over for a second stirplate project.

Hahaha. That's great. I was also thinking of using a cigar box for the stirplate project too.

I couldn't find one so I wound up going with a business card holder.
CIMG1400.jpg

I used a cedar puck (used to keep moth away in closets) as the spacer. Hey, whatever does the job, I always say.
CIMG1405.jpg

I'm still keeping my eyes open for a nice cigar box since I have a few parts left over for a second stirplate project.

i like the look of your box.

You guys are so cheap I don't even know where to start. After tearing apart a hard drive and reusing an old cell phone charger and CPU fan, you still won't drop 7 bucks on a project box from radio shack to neatly house everything and make it water-resistant?

Sheeesh.

if you already have a box that will work perfectly fine and, in my opinion looks much better then a radio shack project box. why buy one?

and once you make the jump from extract brewing to AG brewing you might understand a bit more.

LOL, what does that have to do with it? I'm not in this thing to be a cheapskate and save money. Believe me, this isn't a cheap hobby. But a cardboard cigar box is nod what I would call liquid-proof. Tincob's enclosure is pretty nice. Cigar Box? Ridonculous. JMO. It's 7 bucks!

LOL, what does that have to do with it? I'm not in this thing to be a cheapskate and save money. Believe me, this isn't a cheap hobby. But a cardboard cigar box is nod what I would call liquid-proof. Tincob's enclosure is pretty nice. Cigar Box? Ridonculous. JMO. It's 7 bucks!

if you look mine is not a cardboard box it is wood, and i know its not a cheap hobby i'm currently building a fully automated herms system which is going to be kick a$$

nod? some people prefer to save money, some like to spend it like its goin outta biz...to each his own. BTW, my cigarbox is resistant enough to spills. However, to come on here and talk Sh*t about what people have made is pretty rude...especially when you've contributed fairly little with 16 posts. but hey man....that's JMO

nod? some people prefer to save money, some like to spend it like its goin outta biz...to each his own. BTW, my cigarbox is resistant enough to spills. However, to come on here and talk Sh*t about what people have made is pretty rude...especially when you've contributed fairly little with 16 posts. but hey man....that's JMO

my thoughts exactly

especially when he has only done extract brewing which is by far the cheapest way to brew

Too bad you did not make it yourself or I would have given you an A+.

Imported????::D
IMG001252.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Claudius your brewery setup is unreal. i noticed you have a bottling line, are you an actual micro brewery or is it all apart of the addiction to home brewing?

you are my hero. having an automated brewery to that extent is amazing:mug:. my father and i are currently making an automated herms system but nothing near to what you have. my father actually goes to the anheuser busch breweries and helps them program their automated systems.

What kind of a noob tool comes onto a forum and starts crap like that. . .

And who said the box needs to be waterproof?

i know got me a little steamed at first but then i just went to my kegerator and had a couple home brews to relax lol.

Good looking gear, Gumby! I see you used my PVC spacer idea, how's that working out?

it works like a charm. i have it spaced out as much as it will with out touching the top. thank you for the help.

oh i will more than likely be ordering a stir bar from you soon.

Dude, that cigar box stirplate is da bomb! Reminds me of the time I saw pics of a guy who built a computer right into the front drawer of his desk.

I should build a steampunk stirplate... Just need to find some cherry wood and some brass...

especially when he has only done extract brewing which is by far the cheapest way to brew

LOL...

1) Why do you make that assumption? I am currently collecting parts for a Brutus-like system. And trying to do it on the cheap by cutting costs here and there. Also, extract brewing (minus the equipment) is not cheaper per batch.
2) I have kids, SWMBO, and a crap-ton of other hobbies. Saving a little here and there certainly is required.
3) With the wooden cigar box it is definitely nicer. I was mostly responding to the one with the cardboard box with the top that was bowing in.

Here is what mine looks like. sleek, black, and totally encapsulated, and it looks a ton better because I spent a whopping 7 extra bucks. (notice I have a cigar box in the upper right corner, but it looked bush league and was not as sturdy).

4119223089_a0551825f8.jpg

So in your setup there is never water or liquid around the areas you make yeast starters, your beer, etc? Interesting. Must be that crazy dry brewing I've heard so much about. :confused:

I wasn't trying to start anything aside from asking if 7 bucks was really that important after saving >$100 compared to a commercial stirplate...

What kind of ridiculous troll scans message boards to call people noobs to make themselves feel more important?

Hell, I'd have built mine out of a Kleenex box if it would work. As it was, I raided the wife's Tupperware.

fermentation001.jpg

So in your setup there is never water or liquid around the areas you make yeast starters, your beer, etc? Interesting. Must be that crazy dry brewing I've heard so much about. :confused:

Who said the stir plate needs to be in a situation where liquid will be around it? I am guessing you drink heavily and spill things during your brewing...

I wasn't trying to start anything aside from asking if 7 bucks was really that important after saving >$100 compared to a commercial stirplate...

Your stir plate cost $7 more than theirs and looks like a lame ass black box with no more value...

What kind of ridiculous troll scans message boards to call people noobs to make themselves feel more important?

The type that get peaved when people like you come around and try to stir shiat up because you think your way is the best/only way to do things.

What kind of ridiculous troll scans message boards to call people cheap to make themselves feel more important?

Go home toolbag.

Who said the stir plate needs to be in a situation where liquid will be around it? I am guessing you drink heavily and spill things during your brewing...

LOL. yep, you are some kind of genius alright.

The type that get peaved when people like you come around and try to stir shiat up because you think your way is the best/only way to do things.

Wow, reading a bit much into things are we?

Go home toolbag.

Ok, so now you're the internet toughguy and message board police spokesman all in one post. Got it. Have you managed to perform every known version of self-fellatio internet hero post in those whopping 200 posts of yours here? I'm guessing yes.

LOL. yep, you are some kind of genius alright.
Yes.

Wow, reading a bit much into things are we?
Yes

Ok, so now you're the internet toughguy and message board police spokesman all in one post. Got it. Have you managed to perform every known version of self-fellatio internet hero post in those whopping 200 posts of yours here? I'm guessing yes.

Yes.

Hey, chill out guys! The whole thing is maybe $15 with or without the enclosure...If anyone is so cash strapped as to be debating whether or not to go buy an enclosure, you might need to rethink your hobby altogether...as well as your life.

There is no need to start calling each other (or implying) noobs. This is not a d!c|< waving contest.

There is no need to start calling each other (or implying) noobs. This is not a d!c|< waving contest.

DAMN! I thought I was finally in the right place. Oh well.

since I'm here anyways, here's my parts list:

Freebees or already owned:
magnet from hard drive
cpu fan and wires
plywood spacer (used hole saw)
machine screws/nuts/washers
gorilla glue
old 5.5vdc cell phone charder
2" mag stir bar

purchased from The Shack:
25 Ohm rheostat (could go smaller) - $3.99
12vdc switch (w/ LED light): $2.99
Enclosure: $6.99

roughly 14 bucks plus tax and about an hour of my time to assemble/glue/test (not including glue dry time)

Back