Finally finished my 4 tap kegerator!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
I bought this old refrigerator on craigslist a few months ago and it was white, and filthy!

I cleaned it all up finally, and used 2 cans of Black Appliance paint to get it looking like new again, then added 4 Perlicks to the front, and now finally have my own kegerator.

3924247405_5092039a05.jpg

I also built this 4 way distributor for about $12 from HD.

3925034960_e0c56d4acc.jpg

Nothing too groundbreaking, I've just been waiting for the day I could make this post for a long time!

nice work! looks great with the black paint. quite a feeling pulling a pint off your very own taps...

The tap shanks appear to extend out too far. Is there a reason for that? Maybe it's an illusion or the camera angle. I was also wondering if the freezer door would clear the tap handles when you open it.

Now all you need is a drip tray and you'll be rockin'.

Disregard the comment about the taps extending out too far. I see it's an illusion due to the reflection on the shiny black paint. Duh.

Really nice, I'm still the boring white. :)
Do you have a parts list for that 4 way distributor. I think that is very nice and I liked the price tag.

Can you open the freezer without opening the fridge or is it a bad camera angle? looks awesome!

No I can't. But this was intentional. I know I will be switching to long tap handles eventually, and to put the faucets low enough so that the freezer could clear the long tap handles made me bend down so low it was completely uncomfortable.

The fridge door is reversible, so a piece of all-thread with two nuts can connect the fridge door to the freezer door so that the two doors always open at the same time.

It is either that or just don't open the freezer. I don't keep anything in there anyways.

Really nice, I'm still the boring white. :)
Do you have a parts list for that 4 way distributor. I think that is very nice and I liked the price tag.

I used three 1/4" tees, and (5) 1/4" hose barbs, go to the air compressor section though, not the plumbing section. Husky sells tees for much cheaper, and they are configured with one male end and two female ends.

Stick the male end of two of the tees into each female end of the third tee, then connect 4 male hose barbs into the female ends, and one female hose barb into the male end (this is the one connected to my tank in my pic).

Here's a pic since I just read through my description and my pre-coffee ramblings might be a little confusing......

3926036202_febc4c1129.jpg

Here's a pic since I just read through my description and my pre-coffee ramblings might be a little confusing......

3926036202_febc4c1129.jpg

That's an awesome price and pic/description.

Only thing I'm wondering is, does it matter that you don't have shut off valves? I'd love to build a couple of 2 way or 3 way manifolds...but I'm afraid about not being able to shut off the gas. I have a shutoff at my reg, but what happens if you have one keg hooked up to that manifold of yours, and the other three are just going to unhooked disconnects?

Basically, do QDs seal well enough to not need valves on each line?

Edit: I'm sure I could work something up with these: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053, but then I'm looking at 9x4=36 bucks for valves, plus 12 for the manifold hardware, and I'm way over the 40 bucks midwest charges for a 4 way manifold....hmmm

Nice! I was looking for an inexpensive way to distribute my gas line without having to buy a manifold.
The 'fridge looks nice- almost new.
My 'fridge is getting converted this week!

Finished?

Are ANY of our DIY projects REALLY finished? I mean, theres room for like 30 or 40 more tap on that door isn't there?

That's an awesome price and pic/description.

Only thing I'm wondering is, does it matter that you don't have shut off valves? I'd love to build a couple of 2 way or 3 way manifolds...but I'm afraid about not being able to shut off the gas. I have a shutoff at my reg, but what happens if you have one keg hooked up to that manifold of yours, and the other three are just going to unhooked disconnects?

Basically, do QDs seal well enough to not need valves on each line?

I submersed my entire setup (QD's included) in a sink full of water, cranked the regulator up to 30 psi, and didn't have any bubbles, so I am not really concerned with any leakage.

As always, proper care & cleaning of the QDs will go a long way.

Finished?

Are ANY of our DIY projects REALLY finished? I mean, theres room for like 30 or 40 more tap on that door isn't there?

I guess you're right, in construction, we would say "substantially complete".

Funny you mention that though, because I am still in the process of deciding how to display what's on tap. I am leaning towards chalkboard, but don't want to do the spray-on type. I want the pub chalkboard look.

I'm at work right now or I'd take a picture, but I just painted the door seals black too and they look fine, just make sure and do it while the door is open or it will glue shut.

You need to stock up 2008 hops that are getting blown out right now.

FYI...I found in another thread about crazy prices on pellet hops from this place. Thought I would share here.

great hops prices

Just a sample cascade $8.75, williamette $6.75, cluster $6.75. I just pulled the trigger on a 5 pounds of various kinds. Should be set up in the hops department for the near future. Just might have to try a Pliny the Elder clone to help use it.

FYI...I found in another thread about crazy prices on pellet hops from this place. Thought I would share here.

great hops prices

Just a sample cascade $8.75, williamette $6.75, cluster $6.75. I just pulled the trigger on a 5 pounds of various kinds. Should be set up in the hops department for the near future. Just might have to try a Pliny the Elder clone to help use it.

That's crazy, I just paid about double the price for half as much!

Back