Sour beer :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robstercraw

Reaction score
I thought my first go at homebrewing had gone so well. It was an IPA and everything was going according to the book. Until I tasted it. Granted, it's only had a week in the bottle, but it tastes like a sour wheat beer. Is there any hope that this character will fade over the coming days and weeks, or am I stuck with 50 bottles of gross beer?

Yes, Time heals all, especially beer . . . . except my corn stalk/molasses ale vintage 2007.:rockin:

Yes, time will help you...

How many weeks was your beer in primary and/or secondary fermentation?

Usually it is 2 - 3 weeks in the bottle to get carbonation going. I have some stout that is really green right now and I will give that one a try in another month to see how it has progressed.

Unfortunately, beer works on it's timetable, not our timetable...

I'm a newbie at this myself, but one of the many things I learned in my handful of batches to date is exactly what COLObrewer said. The way it tastes after a week in the bottle is not always a good indicator as to how it will taste after a few more weeks in the bottle.

I suggest you start planning your next batch and forget about the bottles for a few weeks. And thoroughly sanitize your equipment just in case, which you should be doing anyway.

It isn't unusual for heavily hopped IPAs to have a sour flavor early on. My 3CPA tasted like unsweetened grapefruit juice until it was 2 months old.

That's quite encouraging, y'all. Thanks.

The beer was about a week in the primary and 2.5 in the secondary.

I'll just start something else and come back to it in a month or two.

I will second and third everything that was said.. It is a true statement that time heals all beer, at least the first two I brewed.
Most of my issue came from pitching the yeast when the wort was too warm, around 85F, this resulted in some off flavors for sure.. Nothing two months in the bottle wouldn't cure. I didn't know this at the time and told myself I would never do a wheat kit again. But I had five left and finally popped open one the other day and was like, wow, this is good!!

Patience is the key to good homebrew!!

I ran an IPA for my first batch and had a similar worry, but it was like sour brown sugar. 3 weeks in bottle and it was great. I wish I hadn't drank it all so fast, so that I could have had it at its prime.

Also, I have pitched too warm, but didn't get any ill effects.

Back