Do I need to cover my yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
Doing a few firsts for me. Harvested my Irish Ale yeast a little over a week ago, and will always be doing that now :D Last night I took one of the jars out to get to room temperature, and I just made my FIRST yeast starter today, since I'm making an oatmeal stout tomorrow/

My question, I'm walking by this every hour or so, and swirling it around. Do I need to keep this in the dark, like I do when I ferment, or is it ok sitting on my counter all day, with light coming in?

Well since there is hop particulate in that... I would put a towel on it or move it to a dark room.

It's fine sitting out on your counter. The point of a starter is to increase cell count not make beer - you can always cold crash and decant the liquids. Sometimes I'll do that with a large starter but not usually.

Doing a few firsts for me. Harvested my Irish Ale yeast a little over a week ago, and will always be doing that now :D Last night I took one of the jars out to get to room temperature, and I just made my FIRST yeast starter today, since I'm making an oatmeal stout tomorrow/

My question, I'm walking by this every hour or so, and swirling it around. Do I need to keep this in the dark, like I do when I ferment, or is it ok sitting on my counter all day, with light coming in?

you will be doing things to this starter that you would never do to a fermenting beer, like continually oxygenating it and probably fermenting warmer than you normally would. light won't harm the yeast.

Back