Brewing your own beer - (cost)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuzlo

Reaction score
Aside from equipment, is brewing your own beer more expensive or cheaper than brewing from a Kit?

If you do a search for "cost of brewing" you will find 30-40 threads on this topic many of them with the actual cost breakdown of every aspect of the hobby, different methods, using different ingredients, even how to cut costs a bit.

This is one of the most asked questions so you'll have no trouble finding the threads on it...eeven the ones from a couple days ago.

BUT I will say, if you come into this hobby to save money...and you don't live in Canada where evidently beer prices are off the charts..this is not initially a cost saving hobby...equipment and materials will add up for a bit...

SO check out the info already on here, and you'll find all you need..

:mug:

Huh?

Brewing beer from grain "can" cost as low as .25¢ a serving. But, that is assuming you've bought grain in bulk quantities and that hops aren't outrageously expensive for you. I have my cost per serving as low as .15¢ but I grow my own hops and use them for all additions.

Straight from a kit, you would be in the range of .46 to .75 a serving. Assuming you use the yeast in the kit.

Your question is not very clear. Are you asking is it cheaper to brew your own than it is to buy beer from the store? That all depends on what your flavor is. If you drink mostly macro beers then definitely no. If you drink a lot of obscure craft then it is possible to brew it for less per serving.

But then again this all assumes you don't take the equipment cost (and the endless upgrades) into account.

Bottom line is, few of us brew with the intent to save over bought beer. In fact, many of us still buy a LOT of beer for "research" purposes. In reality, the majority of us brew because we love the process and most everything it involves.

Are you asking about the difference between an ingredient kit and buying the ingredients separately and brewing a recipe?

If so, you should be able to figure that out by pricing out the ingredients for a recipe and comparing with a similar kit brew.

Bottom line is, few of us brew with the intent to save over bought beer. In fact, many of us still buy a LOT of beer for "research" purposes. In reality, the majority of us brew because we love the process and most everything it involves.

BWAHAHAHA.......this from the guy that just dropped how many grand on the Roll's Royce of Brewing Systems, the same week he had a baby?...:D

By the way, how is the "we bairn" doing? (You've posted more info and pics of the saabco than the baby) :mug:

Although brewing good beer is the primary reason for brewing, I'm finding that getting the price down as low as possible is also a part of the fun. It gives an added self-competition. :)

Brewing beer from grain "can" cost as low as .25¢ a serving. But, that is assuming you've bought grain in bulk quantities and that hops aren't outrageously expensive for you. I have my cost per serving as low as .15¢ but I grow my own hops and use them for all additions.
Said the guy who just depleted his childrens' college savings by about 7K. :D

Huh?

Straight from a kit, you would be in the range of .46 to .75 a serving. Assuming you use the yeast in the kit.

Your question is not very clear. Are you asking is it cheaper to brew your own than it is to buy beer from the store? That all depends on what your flavor is. If you drink mostly macro beers then definitely no. If you drink a lot of obscure craft then it is possible to brew it for less per serving.

But then again this all assumes you don't take the equipment cost (and the endless upgrades) into account.

OK. Sorry for the confusion. I guess what I am asking is this. Brew Kits range from $13.99 to close to $40 here in Halifax. If I wanted to get into brewing from scratch be it using grains or extracts (other than equipment) is it more costly to bre with grains or extracts than using a Kit sold at the local Beer and wine store. Just so you know I have my own carbonation system, no need to bottle after brewing.

Andy

this is a hobby not really a savings ... at least up front and when you think of kegging, or going all grain, etc. You spend money up front because it is a great and addicting hobby (the brewing and enjoying not the alcoholism) but it is so worth it to learn about and respect beer as well as brew what you want or like.

It is very rewarding and in the long run may be cheaper, but that is not why i brew.

EDIT - i guess i should have read your last post ha ha

i believe that they are about the same but you have much more freedom without the kit. Brewing All grain is definately cheaper than extract though.

OK. Sorry for the confusion. I guess what I am asking is this. Brew Kits range from $13.99 to close to $40 here in Halifax. If I wanted to get into brewing from scratch be it using grains or extracts (other than equipment) is it more costly to bre with grains or extracts than using a Kit sold at the local Beer and wine store. Just so you know I have my own carbonation system, no need to bottle after brewing.

Andy

Basing cost for ingredients alone it is definitely cheaper to buy bulk and brew from "raw" ingredients (malt isn't really raw grain tho') and it will also give you more flexibilty in the beer varieties you can make.

Pound for pound, extract is by far more expensive than grain. But ext6ract does not need to be milled or mashed which ultimately bring that ole' equipment figure back into the equation.

:off:

The wee bairn is doing great. Sleep is a thing of the past for now. The child doesn't make a peep all day long and doesn't stop making peeps all night. I have resorted to sleeping in anothere room with my first born on occasion.

I am back to work for the next 11 weeks and it really sucks. No time to even look at the Sabco for now. I hope to do a water run this weekend to get familar with the system and to clean it and prep it for a brewday.

My first born has been a complete champ about the new addition save 2 exceptions. If I don;t spend a good deal of time playing with Kiernan and he notices I have been attending to Tristan (Infant) he will show sign of jealousy but, he does not get beligerant.

Secondly, he has also woken up at night while the baby is crying to inform us with "That baby is ALWAYS crying". Ha.

Andy

Well, like I said, some people have actually done cost breakdowns, even between specific recipes, to show the difference. If you take a look using the key word I suggested, you will find all the info...even broken down by ordering through various online retailers factoring in the cost of shipping (I think Chriso's" thread on that topic did that.

So it's already on here, in pretty good detail.

In Canada, it is definitely cheaper to brew your own beer.

I live in Fredericton, and "cheap" beers cost around $40/24 (Alpine is on special now, so it's actually $38/24).

Brewing from a kit, you pay $16 for the kit and another couple $ for sugar and sanitizer. Basically, you get 60 bottles of beer for $20-$30. And home-brewed beer is a hell of alot better than Alpine!

With the price of Alpine on special, that same 60 bottles would be around $100. The up-front cost for equipment and bottles is quickly paid for.

Aside from equipment, is brewing your own beer more expensive or cheaper than brewing from a Kit?

Not taking equipment into account is like not counting clothing in the cost of raising a child.

They constantly need new items and once a year you replace everything with the latest stuff available. Even if you make the clothes yourself (DIY projects) or fly your kids to Milan to be outfitted by top designers (Sabco ) it should still be accounted for in the cost of the beer.
:)

EDIT: I wrote this post purely for Gila.

The fact is that I don't give a crap about the cost of ingredients or equipment or any of it really. I just love brewing and tinkering with the equipment That I can save money by not buying beer on the other end is pure gravy.

If cost were truly an issue than time alone would make this hobby ridiculously cost-prohibitive.

The only time I really think about the cost of ingredients is when I do a side by side of one of my Belgians with, say a $14 Dupont and like mine more.

This is a no-brainer if you live in Canada. Most homebrew supply shops that sell grain will also crush it for you at little to no additional cost. Also, if buying all grain kits from most online supplies, they will crush for a small fee.

The biggest savings though, come from buying bulk sacks of grain. You could purchase, or for even greater savings build, your own grain crusher. The money you save in grain will cover the cost of the crusher.

If you purchase dry yeast, or harvest yeast from bottles, then you can save a bit there in yeast.

If you use fewer hops, or use higher alpha acid hops, you can save money there (or grow your own, but that takes a year or two to get started).

So, yeah, to save money, go all-grain, purchase a crusher, and buy bulk! Most of the rest of the cost is for the same equipment you'd need for extract anyway.

.....The child doesn't make a peep all day long and doesn't stop making peeps all night......

Speaking from experience here bro, it will also put the brakes on you and the wife peeping too often as well. Sort of nature's own temporary little contraceptive.
We have 4, so if you ever need pointers on covert peeping, I may be able to help. :mug:

Speaking from experience here bro, it will also put the brakes on you and the wife peeping too often as well. Sort of nature's own temporary little contraceptive.
We have 4, so if you ever need pointers on covert peeping, I may be able to help. :mug:

Given it's only been 7 days since the baby was born. None of that is happening. And none shall happen until one of us gets de-peeperated.

Gila to newborn:- One day, all of this shiny beer **** will be yours. You will appreciate it later, you have to trust me on that one.

Don't forget you can save $$ by yeast washing.

I do partial Mash and I figure it costs ABOUT $1.20 a beer on average. This includes an extra 10 cents per label and not buying bottles which I have over 300 that are recycled.

Well, the 2 year old has first dibs by right. But, I have opted to keep my old rig and all the parts incase there is a beer war someday.

Given it's only been 7 days since the baby was born. None of that is happening. And none shall happen until one of us gets de-peeperated.

The time period means nothing.... it was the day before for us, then the second week after. The wife wouldn't wait, which was fine for me! :ban:

It is easier when they are that young too. If they wake up, they just look at you and coo, like "you go daddy". Can't really do that when they are 14.... and not safe when there is a cat in the room either! But that is another story....
What was this thread about?:confused:

It is easier when they are that young too. If they wake up, they just look at you and coo, like "you go daddy". Can't really do that when they are 14.... and not safe when there is a cat in the room either! But that is another story....
What was this thread about?:confused:
Um, Bull, you're not supposed to shag the cat. It has claws, you know.:D

:off: Yeah, I dont really wanna go off topic here... but if OP is still reading at this point, I've found that brewing is wayyyyy cheaper in Canada, hands down. The problem came up with was that DME was like, 7 bucks a pound, driving my price back up (when Im at home in the states I can generally get it for about $4/lb.)

The saving grace that I found was that since many malts are grown here in Canada, they tend to be extremely cheap, even at LHBS. Yesterday I paid $CDN 3.25/ kg, which is about $USD 1.23/lb, for crushed grain at my local store. If you're looking to save money and are willing to complicate your life a little bit getting into brewing, check out DeathBrewer's stove top All Grain method, a little more money needs to be invested in equipment, but compared to $40 kits, a $15-20 few brews will pay off the equipment quickly!

Money isnt really a concern. Also equipment is easy to come by. I was wondering which was more cost effective, extracts, grains in comparison to Kit Beers. I know grains will require a more complex setup than extracts. Is it worth it to start brewing from scratch rather than kits?

If you enjoy homebrewing, cost doesn't matter much. --- If you're like Craig on CraigTube/CraigTalk on YouTube, he only brews because the cost/tax in his area of Canada is huge on beer, and he does it for the savings (only uses 1 can of hopped malt extract for 5 gallons) (Brewing doesn't send tingles through special parts of his body like some of us brewers... ! lol!)

AG is the cheapest, my last extract batch cost me roughly $55 or so.

Hell with the cost, its the fact that "I" created it not anyone else. :mug:

AG is the cheapest, my last extract batch cost me roughly $55 or so.

Huh? - One can buy a can of Hopped LME for ~$16, add water, and get 5 gallons of beer....

Why is beer so expensive to buy in Canada?

I'm going to take a stab at it and guess it's mostly taxes to cover their nationwide health insurance covered by the government....

How is this.....

All things being equal i.e. using the same stuff to brew extract or Grain, Grain is cheaper. Grain is also more difficult than extract.

I do have to admit this is one of my more cheap hobbies.

I spent $20+ in Hops alone.
lol

I want some of that! :ban: (I just recently realized I was born with a "hophead" condition... I'm sure I'll be dealing with this the rest of my life...)

That's why, when we finally buy a house, the first thing I'm doing is planting HOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is beer so expensive to buy in Canada?

Because the government rips us off with high taxes.

I brew all grain, and for me it is cheap. But not only is it cheap, it is also a lot better tasting than any extract brew. Well except for the Feista ( sp ) kits you guys get on the mainland. I have a buddy who lives in Prospect NS that sends me some every now and then. Damn fine extract brew.
Here a doz of local BMC costs me $23. I can make 5 gallons of brew for less than that.

I want some of that! :ban: (I just recently realized I was born with a "hophead" condition... I'm sure I'll be dealing with this the rest of my life...)

That's why, when we finally buy a house, the first thing I'm doing is planting HOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

****, I dropped a couple pellets of Simcoe in this Dos Equis Amber Clone I am drinking on tonight. lol

:rockin:

A few more months and I'll be dipping Hops like Skoal. haha

Yesterday I paid $CDN 3.25/ kg, which is about $USD 1.23/lb, for crushed grain at my local store.

$3.25 Canadian = $2.62 US, not $1.23. Come on, we are not that worthless!

That being said, beer is stupidly expensive here (especially BC). A 12 pack of average beer is around $23. Alberta is much cheaper.

I can homebrew with extract for about 50 cents a beer. Much better deal compared to the ~2 bucks per beer at the store.

$3.25 Canadian = $2.62 US, not $1.23. Come on, we are not that worthless!

That being said, beer is stupidly expensive here (especially BC). A 12 pack of average beer is around $23. Alberta is much cheaper.

I can homebrew with extract for about 50 cents a beer. Much better deal compared to the ~2 bucks per beer at the store.

Um, one KG = 2.2 pounds.

Back