hanna pHep meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsratso

Reaction score
just got one, the 98107. 2 questions as i have never used one before. the manual says to trim the cloth junction and that it can be trimmed 20 times then you need to replace the meter's electrode. how often do you trim this? when it no longer holds calibration? every use? never? also, my instructions say there is supposed to be some kind of sponge or tissue in the cap to hold moisture in it. mine has none. can i just put a little chunk of sponge in there? is this necessary, or just a few drops of solution in the cap will do? thanx!

From the 98107 manual:

"The sensor should be kept moist at all times. For this purpose, always keep wet the tissue inside the protective cap. In case of erroneous readings even after an accurate conditioning and calibration, the reference junction might be contaminated or clogged."

That is followed by the reference strip trimming procedure.

I interpret the above as meaning you only do the strip pull-out & trim thing when you are unable to manually calibrate the meter after obtaining erroneous readings (how you determine <= that is a whole 'nuther question).

As for the sponge, tissue, whatever, the cap for my Hanna 98128 came with neither. An email to their support department returned the advise that a few drops of storage solution in the electrode well within the cap was sufficient and no sponge was required...

Cheers!

Back