Temperature Drop and Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisr202

Reaction score
I'm on my second homebrew and am making what in hope will be a nice wheat beer using white labs wlp380. When I pitched, fermentation began in earnest in less than 24 hours with lots of airlock activity. I then moved the fermenter to a location where I thought the temp would be lower, but within acceptable ranges (higher than 65). However, after two full days, I checked in to find that the airlock was no longer bubbling and the air temperature was actually 61.

I moved the fermenter to a higher temperature area, but after 24 hours there was no sign of fermentation. Then I tried giving the fermenter a shake and checked back in 12 hours - no dice... Last straw, I opened it up, stirred and aerated and left for 24 hours at around 70 degrees... Still no obvious signs of fermentation.

Am I overly concerned and the yeast has just slowed, or have I already done irreparable damage to the batch at this point? Would love to hear any tips... I'm 7 days out from the pitch at this point and concerned I lost the whole thing.

I have frequently had the vigorous fermentation take place within about 48 hours of starting and mellow out, especially if you had higher temperatures. Remember, your vigorously fermenting wort temperature will be 4-10 degrees higher than your ambient air temperature so if you first day was in a room at 68 you could have very well been fermenting in the mid-to-upper 70s. Overall, I would say that a short vigorous fermentation is pretty normal and nothing to be concerned about. Considering that you've attempted to "revive" the yeast and it didn't make much difference I would guess that the yeast is simply onto the last bits of fermentables and just moving slowly now. If you're really concerned than taking a refractometer or hydrometer sample would be in order.

Edit:
An example would be an esb I recently did that went into my garage with a ground and ambient temperature of ~55*F, the beer was fermenting between 65-67*F.This was a carboy sitting on cement so there should have been decent transfer of temperature from the ground.

Lastly, just because it doesn't look like anything is still happening does not mean that it's isn't. Yeast do the bulk of the work as fast as they can and the remainder is slow and steady. The airlock can't always be trusted :D

Thanks, I thought I might just have been worrying for no reason. I guess time will tell. I'll give its couple more days before start taking hydrometer readings. Will try to keep in mind that fermentation temp is a bit higher than ambient temp also.

Back